Manny's 7WSM Coyote problem

Dave King

Manny\'s 7WSM Coyote problem

Manny

I copied your post here, figured it'd be a better place for it.

"hello' just stumbled onto this site while looking for the best of the west's web address...anyways I'm hoping some one could answer a quick question for me, (please let me say I'm not a balistics expert in any way but have been shooting long range since I was a kid..
My question is this, first I bought a new win 7WSM mdl. coyote topped with a leupold vxll 3x9x50, med bull barrel last year and have been having trouble getting it to zero in...with factory loads of course, this year I tried useing this stuff called copper melt, and it helped don't know why..?..but the first three shots are excelent 1/2 inch group at a 100yrds, but as soon as the barrel gets warm it goes back to 3 to 4 inch groups I let the barrel cool down and once again the first three are great, I was told to glass bed the stock any sugestions would be appreciated.....thanks Manny'"

Re: Manny\'s 7WSM Coyote problem

Manny ,
A good glass bedding job would be the place to start . I'd get pillars installed in the front and rear action screwholes and barrel free floated at the same time .
Make sure the centre action screw is only snug not tight .
If the above doesn't work it's possibly the barrel bending as it heats up . Good barrels are stress relieved to prevent this , not sure about Winchester factory tubes though .
(probably not)

[ 09-04-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.