making sense of the 6.x family

A Tikka or Ruger? Maybe the Tikka, but did you forget about Savage. Ruger would be my last choice, I have seen too many of them that are junk. Um, Weatherby doesn't offer a .260 but you're sure quick to judge Remington for not offering a 6.5 Creedmoor lol

Hey they should chamber for the 6.5 Creed. As popular as Remingtons are and as hot as the Creedmoor is right now I bet they would sell alot of them. But im sure Savage doesnt mind one bit that Remington doesnt:D

To the OP, if you dont reload then the Creed would be the easiest one. If you ever plan on handloading anytime soon, the 260 would be great as well.

Cant go wrong with the 6.5x284 either

Hello everyone, thank you kindly for all the comments I really do appreciate it. Yes my lack of reloading does limit me, which is probably my own ignorance for not..but that's another story. The Cooper creek SAUM ammo didn't seem too bad, it's in the ball park for what I last paid for HSM ammo for my 300WM, and furthermore I blame Len for writing the article about this round..which is what caught my attention to it.

I forgot about the .260 and it seems like a solid choice to be considered, too many choices! (Which I guess isn't a bad thing..). Again, thank you all for your time! Scott

The 260 Rem would be good.

264 Win Mag seems to be left out.

With the new releases of Rem 700 and Win 70s in the 264 WM and ammo coming out, this would fill the long range and Elk requirements.

Yes sir.

I like the 260 Rem, given the parameters. I looked, not too hard, for one for a while. Everyone had 6.5 Creeds, but no one seemed to have 260 Rems. I could have ordered one. Ended up going with a 6.5 Sherman Shortmag, but that's going to be a reload-only deal. Probably not a nickel's worth of difference between the 6.5 Creed and 260 Rem. Creed is hot right now, as others have mentioned, and probably easier to find ammo for.

+1 on 264 WinMag if you want more speed in a factory round. Several of the others mentioned get into the same velocity range but are pretty much just for hand loaders.
26 Nosler if you want to step it up another notch.

Yes it is possible. Little hard on brass though. Using N570 and a 140 Berger is was at 3339 fps. It is a impressive round that will run or out run a 264 WM and yes be right there with the 26 Nosler. Drops confirmed out to 910 yds. Not bad for only 64 gr of powder! I have since dropped it by 1 gr to save my brass. Guys are getting 3300 fps with R26 as well.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated. :)

One I see missing is the 100+ year old 6.5 Swede. Though few rifles are made in the cartridge, it's still a good one to toss into the mix.
Factory fodder will usually be 'downloaded' as many of the rifles available out there are built on 100 year old rifles with weaker actions.

I shot a .264 WM for years although I did reload for it. Factory ammo at the time was tougher to come by and expensive. I've since made a 6.5 WSM made. It shoots fantastic and pushes 130's over 3400. I've settled on the 143's at 3200 to save some barrel and brass.

You really can't go wrong with a .264 WM if you must use factory ammunition. Don't let anyone tell you it's inferior because it's got a belt. The reality is that all these 6.5 wildcats aren't beating the .264 WM by that much to make a huge difference.

You really can't go wrong with a .264 WM if you must use factory ammunition. Don't let anyone tell you it's inferior because it's got a belt. The reality is that all these 6.5 wildcats aren't beating the .264 WM by that much to make a huge difference.

That is quite true. In the 6.x world you can step up in velocity from mild to wild as your heart desires. 6.5/223 6.5 Grendel. 6.5 Lapua, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55 Swede, 260, 264 WM, 6.5/300 WSM, 6.5/300WM. 26Nosler, 6.5/300Wby. 6.5/7STW, 6.5/7RUM.

There is so much.

Sticking with your original thought. 6.5CM and 260Remington in non-magnum, 264WM and 26Nosler in Magnum. All have a fine selection of factory rounds.

For the 1000 yard paper punching I'd go non-magnum. If you are going to go for that elk with a 6.5 then either 264WM or 26-Nosler.

I hope you get it sorted for hunting season.

Share what your final choice and how it shoots.

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous poster's suggestions standard vs. magnum. Personally, I'd choose the Creedmoor if I had to shoot factory ammunition. I have both 6 and 22 Creedmoors. Both are incredibly accurate and I'll never again be without one of the two. I'd have to believe the 6.5 is just the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.