making sense of the 6.x family

scottyboy

i have been looking at getting a build and the 6.x cartridge seems to fit the bill for what i would want (can kill paper at the ranges i shoot <typical is 600-700yds, 1000 is possible>, put down a deer if i do my part, put down a elk if i do my part, not beat up the wife too bad if she wants to shoot it..) however, with the many choices of the "6" how does one pick-n-choose the right one? i understand the grendel is typically a AR round, but when you throw the 6.5x284, 6.5 SAUM, creedmor and every other 6.du juor is where they all more or less look the same to me.

i see the velocity fluctuates from one flavor to the next, but it seems to me, not enough to make a compelling argument to say "you idiot, choose THIS one" (i wish it was that easy...or one of you can say that for me!! :))

the next factor in the equation is reloading, NO i do not reload nor do i plan on reloading anytime soon. however, i would have full intentions of purchasing loaded/"custom" rounds, assuming they can be had.

not real worried about barrel life as if i can get ~1000 rounds out of one before it would need to be replaced, i would be thrilled. (and to be honest, i usually get bored with a particular rifle long before i reach those numbers and move on to something new.. :rolleyes:)

i have searched here on the forums for any discussions on these cartridges, so i apologize in advance for any repetitive questions. i'll take any input, advice or criticism that you may have. thank you in advance. scott

If you do not reload and do not plan on starting, the easiest answer is 6.5 creedmore. Several "match" factory loads out there to get you whatever distance you want. You can find ammo for the 6.5x284 and 6.5x55 swede but they are expensive and can be hard to get ahold of at times. I think you would really be giving up a lot of the advantage of a SAUM if you do not reload for it.
260 has plenty of factor ammo available but the creed is hot right now so there is good ammo everywhere.

What Schnyd112 said.

There are so many 6.5s, however, to meet the accuracy vs. not reloading, the 6.5 Creedmoor will it all.

The Factory Rifles chambered in 6.5CM will be built for the 140 grain lead copper jacketed bullets available in factory rounds for long range, target or hunting. I would be happy with just about any 6.5CM factory rifle, though I always prefer Weatherby when I can. You have lots of choices. Except Remington, Remington does not make a 6.5CM, they make a 260 Remington. Um, go figure.

It will reach 1000 yards on paper punching, respectably with factory rounds.

Personally, I would not use it above White Tail size game but don't pay any attention to that.

Full disclosure, I chose the 260 Remington chambering on a customized Vanguard. for factory, there are only 2 Rifles factory chambered for 260 that I would choose Tika T3X or Ruger 77. The Remington IMO is too short on barrel.

The 260 Remington (A 6.5/ 308) would be my choice for available ammo, ease to reload. lots of brass for it 260, 7/08, and 308 can be used if you decide to reload.

Mild recoil and good killing power and very good at 1000 yard matches.

There are lots of good 6.5s but this is a good all round cartridge.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

The 260 Remington (A 6.5/ 308) would be my choice for available ammo, ease to reload. lots of brass for it 260, 7/08, and 308 can be used if you decide to reload.

Mild recoil and good killing power and very good at 1000 yard matches.

There are lots of good 6.5s but this is a good all round cartridge.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Over the last two or three years, I've seen two or three 6.5WSM chambers in both Remington and Savage rifles. They all used 270wsm brass, and literally shot lights out! Then about a year and a half ago, I run into a big box of once fired 25WSM brass. A guy bought the brass, and chambered a rifle off that brass in 6.5. The afore chambers shot slightly faster, but not by as much as one would think. I think the bigger chambers shot almost 3100fps with 140 grain bullets!
gary

What Schnyd112 said.

There are so many 6.5s, however, to meet the accuracy vs. not reloading, the 6.5 Creedmoor will it all.

The Factory Rifles chambered in 6.5CM will be built for the 140 grain lead copper jacketed bullets available in factory rounds for long range, target or hunting. I would be happy with just about any 6.5CM factory rifle, though I always prefer Weatherby when I can. You have lots of choices. Except Remington, Remington does not make a 6.5CM, they make a 260 Remington. Um, go figure.

It will reach 1000 yards on paper punching, respectably with factory rounds.

Personally, I would not use it above White Tail size game but don't pay any attention to that.

Full disclosure, I chose the 260 Remington chambering on a customized Vanguard. for factory, there are only 2 Rifles factory chambered for 260 that I would choose Tika T3X or Ruger 77. The Remington IMO is too short on barrel.

A Tikka or Ruger? Maybe the Tikka, but did you forget about Savage. Ruger would be my last choice, I have seen too many of them that are junk. Um, Weatherby doesn't offer a .260 but you're sure quick to judge Remington for not offering a 6.5 Creedmoor lol

A Tikka or Ruger? Maybe the Tikka, but did you forget about Savage. Ruger would be my last choice, I have seen too many of them that are junk. Um, Weatherby doesn't offer a .260 but you're sure quick to judge Remington for not offering a 6.5 Creedmoor lol

Are you being silly or serious?

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above, .260R, 6.5CM and don't forget about the time tested 6.5/06...just pick one that easy to work with and brass is readily available now and 5-10 years down the line, why go crazy, life's hard enough!

If you don't plan on reloading the decision should be easy. The 260 is a great case, but lacking factory loaded ammo. If I didn't reload I wouldn't have the one I have. The saum, as far as I know is only loaded by Copper Creek and it's very spendy. The 6.5-06 and it's wildcats are great cases but only if you reload. So if I were in your shoes I would have two choices, the creedmoor or 6.5-284.
The 6.5-284 will have a little more recoil to someone who is sensitive to it. Ammo will be a bit more expensive than the Creedmoor. Barrel life will be shorter than the Creedmoor but should meet your 1000 round barrel life.
With the creedmoor you will have cheaper options for ammo and be more readily available. You should be able to shoot a few more rounds before the barrel gets hot. Less recoil and muzzle blast.
I would choose the Creedmoor.

I would suggest a 6.5X47. But as suggested I would limit it to deer size game. Like you said in your first post the numbers are so close between a 6.5X47, 6.5CM and the 260. I am always surprised how the 6.5X47 gets left out of conversations that involve the 260 and 6.5CM. The X47 has excellent lapua brass which is super strong and lasts forever. The X47 is also inherently accurate. My RBROS 6.5X47 is fast becoming one of my favorite rifles. Recoil is almost non existent and drives a 130 berger at just under 3000 fps with 42.2 gr of H4350. All depends what you want to do. When I want to step things up I can grab my 6.5 Sherman and shoot 140's up to 3300 fps. Tough decision to make but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the above.

I would suggest a 6.5X47. But as suggested I would limit it to deer size game. Like you said in your first post the numbers are so close between a 6.5X47, 6.5CM and the 260. I am always surprised how the 6.5X47 gets left out of conversations that involve the 260 and 6.5CM. The X47 has excellent lapua brass which is super strong and lasts forever. The X47 is also inherently accurate. My RBROS 6.5X47 is fast becoming one of my favorite rifles. Recoil is almost non existent and drives a 130 berger at just under 3000 fps with 42.2 gr of H4350. All depends what you want to do. When I want to step things up I can grab my 6.5 Sherman and shoot 140's up to 3300 fps. Tough decision to make but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the above.

He doesn't reload so probably not a good option. If he did I definitely would have included it.

I too shoot .260 rem and have zero complaints. There is factory ammo available that will get you what you need but reloading you can wring every last bit of case capacity out of it. The creedmore was designed for people in your exact situation- factory gun, factory ammo and great consistency. I shoot a long range steel match with a few guys that shoot the creed and they are having great results out to 1000 yards with off the shelf ammo.

Genuinely curious... do you really get 3300fps out of your 6.5 Sherman with the 140's?

That's 26 Nosler territory isn't it?

Thanks.

Yes it is possible. Little hard on brass though. Using N570 and a 140 Berger is was at 3339 fps. It is a impressive round that will run or out run a 264 WM and yes be right there with the 26 Nosler. Drops confirmed out to 910 yds. Not bad for only 64 gr of powder! I have since dropped it by 1 gr to save my brass. Guys are getting 3300 fps with R26 as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.