Making .270 out of 30-06 brass?

Simply run the 30/06 brass through the standard 270 dies with the expander ball where it
normally is in the 270 set up. All of the sizing you want is just enough to chamber in your
270, no more.

You will see a small ring at the base of the neck. (This is good) where it is still 30 caliber. this helps set the head space and minimizes brass stretch durring fire forming.

There should be no need to turn the necks unless a loaded round is less than .004 larger than the outside
of a fired round.

J E CUSTOM

Do you know if I could use this same process to form 280 brass or would I be better off just using Norma 280 brass?

Do you know if I could use this same process to form 280 brass or would I be better off just using Norma 280 brass?

We've done 280's with the sub shoulder from '06 brass back in the day. Works fine.
As JE said,size it back just enough to get the action closed. It will make better/ longer lasting brass if you don't let it stretch a bunch to start with. I'd still use proper headstamp where possible, but if you've got hundreds of casings sitting around and want to use 'em go ahead.

Yes it will work the same for the 280.

The 30/06 is slightly shorter than the 280 COL but it is only .044 shorter than the Max length
of the 280 and when you trim the 280 brass the required .020 or .030 you will be within .010
of the recomended Case overall length. Which means , No trimming.

J E CUSTOM

So you wouldn't buy some 30-06 brass to use in a 270. I was wondering about this, cause the scheels here in minot only has 30-06 brass, and hasn't had 270win ever since i have been checking.

So you wouldn't buy some 30-06 brass to use in a 270. I was wondering about this, cause the scheels here in minot only has 30-06 brass, and hasn't had 270win ever since i have been checking.
Knock down the '06 brass and square it up, then load and shoot. Get some 270 when finally in stock. Minot scheels seems to leave a lot to be desired lately, but I only get up there a couple of X a year. With the run on for stuff, Bis. is no better.

I realize this is a rather outdated thread but thought I would pass on experience I had with Lapua 30.06 brass. I won the Palma Trophy Match at Camp Perry in 85 and 86 using new Lapua brass and every one I shot did well but several of them had the primers fall out when I opened the bolt. My load was 54 gr. 4350 which is not max in any manual.

The case heads were obviously soft so I never used Lapua 06 cases again. Guys I know that load Lapua 308 do not have the problem. That is the last Lapua 06 I bought.

I just fell into a Rem 7600 270 and while I have never been a 270 enthusiast the price was right. I have some commercial 270 cases I will use but I know from experience that most commercial cases will have the primer pockets get loose in 5 to 7 rounds.

I will probably at some point convert some LC 06 Match cases and that will hold me for years. I have one 30.06 match case I have loaded 157 times and primer pocket is still snug.

Measure the dimension of the case .200 up from rim. New 270 ammo will measure about .465" at that point. Next measure same place after firing. You will most likely find they have expanded to . 471/.472 range (SAAMI CHAMBER). I was lucky with this rifle as fired case came out at .468 which means I don't have to worry so much about incipient case separation.

As a general rule you will find US milspec brass exhibits a much longer reloading life.

Keep in mind not all FL dies are made the same. CIP I have several 30.06 dies I have picked up over the years and I have them marked as to the size they take fired case down to. I have 06 dies that size .466, .468, .470. I polished one set out to .470 and use those on the jumbo SAAMI chamber rifles I have to give long case life.

I have not measured my 270 dies as yet but I expect to size a base size dimension in the .468 range.

To give a idea of how long cases can be used I have 500 LC 06 match cases dedicated to my No 1 course rifle and that same brass has been used since 1982 and it is on it's third barrel as every barrel since has been chambered with the same reamer that cuts a .469 base and I use the .468 die on those cases.

Simply put the less the brass moves the longer your case life so if you plan accordingly and use the proper dies your brass will last and last and if you have US milspec brass you are set for years.

I forgot to add that I stress relieve the neck and shoulders before sizing them down to 270. I would fire them once and stress relieve them again and from then on about every third loading as cases will last and last and last.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple dozen 3006 cases the last time I was at the rifle range from the two guys next to me. so many shooters don't reload and are happy to know that their empty cases will be reused. I have more pistol brass than I will ever process because I usually stick around to sweep up at the end of the night at the pistol range. If the pile Looks good I bag it and take it home. if it looks like more steel or alum cases or odd calibers I'll drop it in the range can. this really keeps the price of my reloading hobby down. now If they would just let me sift their backstop material for lead slugs to smelt. Hmm... we could call it environmental cleanup and make the greenies happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.