magnum research carbon barrel.

ZSteinle

Why no love for the magnum research carbon barrel, all you hear about is ABS or Proof? Or the mountain eagle rifle for that matter? Seems like a really nice rifle for a fair price. Never hear anyone talking about either. Built a 7mm SAUM with a magnum research barrel and it is shooter and came in at 6lbs. 9oz. with a 27" bull barrel. Just curious if its that no one has heard of them or they just have a bad rep

Never heard of them. I just had a custom built using a Proof Research barrel. The reason I chose them is because that is all I have heard through reconmmendations on this forum and my builder. Also, their video showing them shoot, remove the barrel and beat it on a cinder block, reinstall and shoot again was very convincing.

I've been wanting to try one out, for the price they could be really good. They need more twist options tho.

I have an MRI Mountain Eagle rifle in .270 Win, but it was before they had carbon barrels, it had a Kreiger and was a shooter.

I agree with more twist options. I think if they would advertise them a little bit that they would become a very popular item. I emailed them a while ago asking why they don't advertise that product but never really got a direct answer. I think they are a Pac-nor barrel now and magnum research wraps them. I will post some pictures later of my rifle and some groups. If any one is interested in a carbon wrapped barrel I would definitely take a look at magnum research.

They have a Criterion liner now. The older ones have a Pac-Nor, they gave me a price of $500 for the discontinued models. I also told them that if they advertised more and had more twist options they would sell a bunch but they weren't interested in having more twist options due to only making the barrels a couple times a year. They only do runs of a bunch of barrels, not each barrel whenever they get orders.

They don't list the barrels anymore. I called and asked when I purchased mine because I remember them being listed a while ago.

Z, I'm interested in what your gun can do and how well it does it. Does it with stand high rates of fire? How many down the tube so far? and all the heat dissipating capabilities etc...

I talked to MR and the cost is $600.. I need to hear some more feedback before I'm comfortable to take the dive. Also 30cal 26" weighs 3.65 and 24" weights 3.45.

I can say that I am very happy with it. Initially it was a bit frustrating (seemed to spike pressure really bad for the first 20 rounds or so) with the break in. Never had a barrel that the first 20 rounds needed to be loaded so light. but after it was broke in it cleans easy and shoots great. I will post up some pictures tonight or if you want to PM me your cell number i can just send them that way. I dont really have a lot of input concerning barrel heat because i have never really tested it. I think the only real way to test this would be to use a thermocouple down the barrel to see how fast it is dissipating heat. What i can say is that after putting 10 down the tube of my 7 saum in sucession (not rapid by any means but probably 10 rounds in 3-5 minutes) that the carbon area of the barrel was virtually cool to the touch. It should also be noted that it does not look like an abs or proof research barrel, it is more of just a flat black color. What i would describe it as is a huge piece of mechanical pencil lead. Wich would make sense because it is a carbon graphite blend. all in all i think i have 180 rounds down the tube. let me know if you have any more questions.

That weight seems on the high side I think? Maybe not. I just discovered MR had these barrels also. I just don't know about criterion barrels.. I'd also like to see pictures if you don't mind. I'd like to build a nice light rifle using a carbon wrapped barrel.

Criterion barrels are OWNED by Krieger. They are not Krieger barrels. They have a complete different manufacturing process. They are with out a doubt the very best massed produced barrel out there. They will rival most benchrest barrels made. I believe that this is why they are used by Proof Research. It is one of the ways to keep the barrel more affordable since they do not have the capability to manufacture there own. The previous owners of the carbon wrapped barrel that became Proof Research did use a true Cut rifled benchrest barrel by a manufacture called Saturn. They truly a great barrel. They have virtually no "node" to them. They shoot almost everything. One of the problems with Criterion is the mass production process makes it impossible to choose your twist rate. Hard to shoot the heavies with the better BCs with that in consideration.

Can't speak for criterion. Was told when I ordered mine it was a Pac-nor liner.

20140729_203617-1.jpg

20140729_203549-1.jpg

20140729_203541-1.jpg

20140729_203522-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.