Magnum Research Mountain Eagle

goat2244

Has anyone had any experience with Magnum Research's Mountain Eagle rifles with the graphite barrel or used their barrels for a build?

I have built a few rifles using the Magnum Research barrels. I work in composites, in product design. In my opinion they are the best designed carbon fiber barrel available.
Magnum Research uses PAN fibers which are much much stiffer than the ones other top carbon barrel company's use. Magnums are also laid up with the fibers longitudinally making for a much stiffer barrel. They are also quite a bit lighter than the others available. The other top carbon barrel company's use Pitch fibers which are much lower in modulus (IE less stiff) and wind them on the barrel. The other barrels will cool much faster do to Pitch fibers conducting heat much better. For me stiffness is much more important than heat dissipation. The Carbon fibers used by Magnum are almost inert meaning they do not expand and contract with heat. So when the steel barrel liner heats up the carbon will not allow it to move or change POI. Pitch fibers shrink when they heat up, making for more of a possibility of a POI change with heat Even though it cools off faster.
I realize you did not ask for a comparison to other company's but to make a decision I think one should know as much as possible.

My barrels were great. I have shot 1" 300 yards groups many times with my 8.5 lb (With scope) 300wsm.
You can't go wrong with one of there barrels.

Last edited:
Sounds good i will. Im ordering the barrel today and got a hogue stock and jewell trigger waitin for it. I still have to find an action for it tho. Im goin with with a 700 action for sure. Not sure what scope im gonna go with yet.

In answer to your question,

I purchased a LH, 7mm Mountain Eagle Rifle back in the mid 90's not knowing that much about thembut from just reading their brochure and wanting something more than factory.

I will have to say that of ALL the rifles I have it is absolutely the best shooting rifle in my collection. It is the earlier version, Sako action, Kreiger barrel, McMillan stock, adj trigger.

After breaking in the barrel, it consistently shoots well less than 1 MOA with all types of bullets.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.