Magnum or standard primers

Buccaneerfan

Hey guys. I'm shooting a 7mm-08 with 154 gr. Horn. SST's. In all likelyhood I will be using H414. How do I decide what primers to use?

No that won't change, with the 7mm-08 you will be just fine with "standard" primers with any powder/bullet combination. Follow what you reloading manual states for primer usage per load as switching from a standard to a mag primer in a "hotter" load can cause serious pressure issues.

What BH said ...

Attachments

• viewFile.html.jpeg
    viewFile.html.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 19
I have used Remington 9.5M primers in loads developed for several .22-250's, .243's and a .25-06. I always started at the bottom of the powder range and worked up looking for pressure signs.
Some of the loads developed in the .22-250 and .243 were using H414 powder. Now I'm not saying a magnum primer is needed with this powder, but I was doing load development (read as: experimenting) and did find accurate, repeatable loads. YMMV. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts