Made a bad shot a few weeks ago.

Ohlongarm

Took a shot at about 200 yards on a coyote with the 22 Hornet 35 grain v-max ,Hornady,was too far forward and hit the shoulder ,leg bone down she went but got up and limped off before i could take another crack at her.Now what's the probability of this happening? About 10 days ago i spotted a coyote with a pronounced limp working my bait,early am,took the shot dropped her in tracks,upon retrieval here's my discovery,broken leg,infected with pus,.What a find,made me feel good that she's not suffering,i run about a 98% retrieval rate,won't shoot usually if things aren't right.Had i double lunged her sh'd made 100 yards at best.
bad shot.jpg
badshot1.jpg

Ranch I got to hunt a few times in central Oregon .....owners first words of incouragement...
1....."don't shoot my babies(meaning smaller bucks) he knew they were gonna be short live eventually)...
2...."if you shoot a coyote..you better kill it..a wounded coyote will hang around the winter food lots and eventually killed a newborn calf"
I got a few old bucks from the ranch...killed one coyote...spine shot at 100 yards..7rm..only disabled enough to keep it from running..i got as close as I dared..20ft..watched it for a bit..put another bullet thru its head the next time it snarled at me.......tough critter...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.