Made a few stands yesterday

I don't recall any pass throughs. We only took a handful of coyotes with it though. None as far as your last one. I'm betting you're right about the velocity dropping off, though. At least you didn't tear it up too bad. ("If you've never had a failure with your favorite fur load, just shoot a few more coyotes!") I'm going to have to intentionally put some more on the shoulder with these 65's and see what happens. I was encouraged by your report of the last one you took.

I searched back through my records and it turns out I did keep a record of bullet performance while I was shooting the 75 V-Max. Of the thirty coyotes shot with that load, more than half of them left big exit holes. That's why I switched to the 87 V-Max hoping that it would be easier on hides but we all know that isn't the case. It is an awesome coyote flattener but fur friendly it is not! I used it to kill a big male at 625 yards a couple weeks ago. I agree it makes a great tournament bullet.

How's the hunting been? Haven't heard much from you lately. The hunting has been ok around here, just need more time to get out and do it. I've shot one more with the 58 Z-Max. It was a slightly off center neck shot at130 yards as he peeked over a bush at me. It blew a big hole in his neck but it was more an issue of shot placement, not bullet performance. I've been fortunate to shoot the rest with the shotgun. I bought some Winchester 3" lead BB loads from Cabelas a couple years ago because they were only $10 a box. I've been shooting those this year and I'm pleased with how they perform. So far I'm five for five. Four at 20 yards and one at 50 yards. Even the one at 50 yards fell in his tracks and didn't even wiggle.

Nice, jt.

I haven't been out much lately. Trying to catch up from hunting with my sons over Christmas still. Hope to get my priorities straightened out soon!

I guess you could say that. The Anti's filed suit was based on gambling issues. The judge refused to grant a restraining order which would have stopped the hunt. He did advise that the Calcutta did appear to be illegal gambling so the Calcutta was cancelled. This is in response to a federal law as I understand it so it may affect other competitions as well. The suit isn't over but Project Coyote failed to accomplish their primary goal of stopping the competition. Interesting day. The court room was filled and people were turned away and standing in the hall during the hearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts