Lyman DPS III vs. RCBS Chargemaster

257speed

Thought I would post this for those that might be curious. Let me start by saying I am not an authority on these scales, I am just relating my experience. I am sure there are others that may have had great luck, but this is my post on my experience. I purchased a Lyman DPS III, which supposedly had some of the bugs worked out from older models problems. I got it home and carefully followed the set-up instructions, which included a grueling 30 minute start up time (each time it is turned on). I loaded my pet load for my 243 Ack Imp and took them out the next day. The loads, which normally shoot sub 1/4", suddenly were shooting close to 3/4". A few across the chrono showed a great drop in velocity. Later, at home, I dispensed the pet load and put it on my 10-10 balance (which had been used to get the original load). I had to run the Lyman up to 48.5 gns to get a load that would balance at 46.0 on the 10-10. I re-calibrated the scale twice, per the manual's instructions, which changed nothing. I took the new 2.5gn higher load out and was suddenly back to my sub 1/4" groups. Now I was questioning the accuracy of which scale ? Then, several days later, while loading some ammo for a friends 30-06, the scale began dispensing and you could watch powder coming out at a much greater rate than the digital read out was increasing. It finally got the the supposed charge weight and stopped. It was obvious just by looking that there was WAY too much powder, about 60gns too much powder to be exact. I attempted to calibrate the scale again, per the manual, and now began getting error messages which prevented me from calibrating. Next, I anxiously checked my Sportsmans Warehouse receipt, which showed I had two days left on my 30 day return policy. The nice folks at Sportsmans allowed me to exchange the Lyman towards the RCBS chargemaster ($70 more). I got the RCBS home, set it up per the instructions and was delighted to find that you could turn it on and use it within a minute, compared to 30 for the the Lyman. I was also excited to find that my 46.0gn load, thrown by the chargemaster, balanced my 10-10 scale perfectly ten out of ten times. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and am very happy. Again, not scientific, but my experience.

i bought a used RCBS charge master and couldn't be more happier. no warm up time needed and charges are very consistant.

Thanks for posting your experience. I am looking at buying one of these in the near future and your input has helped me make up my mind between "orange" and "green." :)

chargemaster

I purchased a chargemaster last spring and loved the ease and repeatability until i started loading H4350. Now it consistently measures the load that is 1-5 grain over. I have no problem with other powders used. Has anybody else seen this problem.

I have the Lyman DPS and have NEVER had a Problem with mine,,and it "Throws" my Powder Weight just Fine
As for the 30 Minute warm up time,,all you have to do is Bypass it,,the ONLY time I let it warm up for 30 Minutes is when I am doing other stuff and getting all my stuff together,,BUT that is Rare when I let it warm up,and I have NEVER had a Problem when I let it warm up and I never had a Problem when I Bypassed the Warm up Period:confused:
Maybe you got a Bad one,I don't know,,My friend up the road liked mine so much,,that he bought one and HIS Throws Perfect Loads,,we BOTH Check them against an RCBS Powder Scale :confused:
I have used mine to Reload Ammo for my AR-15 (.223) my Sons 223 and his 30-06,,and 357 Mag,40 S&W,22-250,,44 Mag and 303 British
I used it to work up a load for the Bushmaster AR-15 in 223 and it is shooting a Group that measured .355" at 100 Yards with a 55 Grn
V-Max !!! :D :D :D and my 22-250 is shooting .300" at 100 Yards and would PROBABLY shoot Better IF I could Shoot Good !!! ;)
The reason I DIDN'T get the RCBS is because an Older guy up the road was selling ALL his reloading stuff and he sold me the Lyman DPS for $100 and he threw in a 1 Lb Can of Winchester w231 Powder for my Pistol Loads,,so I COULDN'T pass that deal up,,Mine is a Lyman DPS II though !
I DON'T KNOW if that makes a difference or not,,BUT I have been using my Lyman DPS II for 2 & 1/2 Years now,,so from Mine and my Neighbors experience,,I wouldn't Hesitate from buying another Lyman DPS II and using it
Everyones Experience with Products ARE Different
Thank You Very much
Tatonka

Last edited:
Re DPS III

MY DPS III works great on some powders Win 748 and not so good on others AR2206 ( Like IMR Powders). Its great to clean compared to older models. The auto dispense is realy handy. And its good to be able to save loads in the memory.
Regards,
Bob.

I am a Scale Technician by trade. I certify, calibrate, operate and repair all types of industrial scales. This ranges from lab scales that measure or weigh out to the 1/10,000th (.0001) of a gram all the way up to rail scales that weigh up to 400,000 lbs. I see all makes and models of scales on a daily basis. Some are more accurate than others, some are more sensitive than others and some repeat better than others. Sometimes it's hard to get two identical scales to weigh the same, much less an electronic one and a balance beam type. My suggestion: get one scale, calibrate it, work your loads up with that scale only. Trust it, don't second guess it and don't use two or three different scales to double-check all your loads.
Your pet loads are not going to shoot the same if you get another scale or use your neighbors.

P.S. I use the RCBS ChargeMaster and love it also!! JohnnyK.

Last edited:
MY DPS III works great on some powders Win 748 and not so good on others AR2206 ( Like IMR Powders). Its great to clean compared to older models. The auto dispense is realy handy. And its good to be able to save loads in the memory.
Regards,
Bob.

I just used my DPS Scale to load IMR 4895 for my AR-15 Loads with
FMJ Bullets and I used it to load my AR-15 Hunting Loads with a
55 Grn V-Max and Varget Powder,,and it worked Great for me with the Stick Powders,,I use Varget for ALL my HUNTING Loads,,and I use
IMR 4895 for my FMJ Loads
IF I ever get a scale that ISN'T reccomended for Stick Powder,I will NOT buy it !!!
Do you guys ALL let your Scales warm up for the ENTIRE 30 Minutes ?
If I am in a Hurry,I just Bypass the 30 Minute warm up period,and IF I am NOT in a hurry,I will let it warm up for the ENTIRE 30 Minutes
Just curious to see if you guys use the ENTIRE 30 Minute warm up period ?
Tatonka

Bigcat_hunter
I went to the Website in your Signature,,the Paw Prints Site,,are YOU the Artist at that site ???
IF you are the Artist,,then Sir,,you ARE VERY TALENTED to say the LEAST !!!
And IF you just Know the Artist,,then you ARE A LUCKY MAN !!!
God,I DO Love those Paintings,,Hopefully 1 of these days I will HIT IT BIG and can have something like that Hanging on my wall
That is all I can say about that Art Work,,You ARE A Lucky man
Tatonka

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.