LSR ladder test

Jimm

Man ! is it hot ! Went from 90 at 9:10 am to 98 by 11:00 am .
Anyway here is a ladder test that I think has some promising loads .>300 winmag. built by MR. Matthews /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif of Long Shot Rifle fame(justly deserved ) H1000
4a1187dc.jpg
over 220 smks.Started @ 71.6 went to 75.8 in .3 gr increments.Velocities of 10,11,12 13 are 2785.2791,2809,2816.Remember there is a .3 gr diff between each of those rounds....Do you think it shows promise ?
Jim B.

Chris can surely build an accurate good shooting rifle.
Definitely looks promising.
Keep us posted how it does.
Wayne aka WAMBO

looks like you need to load your #11 or #12 charge weight....

by the way what would that be??

[ QUOTE ]
looks like you need to load your #11 or #12 charge weight....

by the way what would that be??

[/ QUOTE ]

that is what i came up with too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Ric ,
11 was 74.6 and 12 74.9 .I also forgot to point out that shot one is isolated to the right because I dialed in a few clicks left because I was afraid the group was going to be off the target to the right. Also started this ladder with a clean bbl. with out any fouling shots , must remember to change that if I want to see potential of the lower velocity shots. BTW , great story, thanks for sharing.

Jim B.

JB great minds think a like or at least evaluate data the same way....

Thanks jim.. by the looks of things I am gonna say #12...

do you have the 10 twist Rock barrel or the 10 twist Broughton?

in either case... you gotta shooter fur sure...

glad you liked the story... sometimes it is good to re-live other times I just wonder, what if?

Dumb questions about the ladder test but until I joined this forum I had never heard of them:

1. Accurately spotting which round went where is critical to the success of the test therefore do you spot with a scope at 300 or do you walk and look allowing the barrel to cool?

2. Assuming you use a spot to identify round strike do you allow barrel to cool between shots?

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb questions about the ladder test but until I joined this forum I had never heard of them:

1. Accurately spotting which round went where is critical to the success of the test therefore do you spot with a scope at 300 or do you walk and look allowing the barrel to cool?

2. Assuming you use a spot to identify round strike do you allow barrel to cool between shots?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

at 300yds my scopes are enough to see them

if not spot and plot each as it hits, or have a bud do it.

or as i have done several times, set up a video camera and record the group as it forms.

i limit ladders to 10 shots, and NO cooling time...if you wait then a light change could change your POI anough to negate the ladder.

YMMV,
JB

I do sort of what JB does..
I do video tape it...
but...

my initial test is done by firing 2 rounds off target
then I do the test for 10 shot with 1 min between shots.

once i get the load that seems to work I then do a ladder test with enough time between shots to cool down the barrel completely.

Ric, Actually, twist is 11 Broughton.Chris wasnt too sure how it would shoot the 220s. Not ignoring his advice , just had abunch of 220s on hand.I have a ladder test ready using the 200smks and H 1000 .Abinok suggested I try the H 1000 and I'm glad I did,cant wait to shoot the 200smks.

Harrakhan,
Its so hot right now that I shoot then get in my truck with the ac going full blast,drive to the target,mark the shot then back to shoot again.About seven minutes between shots .If I dont cool my face downit fogs the scope immediately with the way the humidity is now.
JB,
I load more rounds for my ladder to give me fouling shots and bring bbl. up to temp that it maintains (that hv #7 takes a while to cool down appreciably once the ambient air temp is 90 or over)a certain temp. between shots.That reminds me , has anyone played with a hand held infrared thermometer to determine bbl. temps with an eye towards improving shot to shot consistency?
I've got a nice big umbrella ,think I'll get me a 12volt fan and car battery to cool my face down ,clip it to the umbrella /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Jim B.

Jimm,
"I've got a nice big umbrella ,think I'll get me a 12volt fan and car battery to cool my face down ,clip it to the umbrella"
I use a folding desk fan at the range during these days of heat that runs off of 2 D cells for cooling off the barrels. Works great! I fortunately have a roof overhead at my range.
The fan was purchased at a wal-mart I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.