LRF Challenge (kind of like racing for pink slips)

Roy:

[ QUOTE ]
Then SS7MM says he can out shoot, range wise, his Swaro.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on how you look at this it can be either a good thing or a bad thing. Actually I think it's all good and there's no bad side to it. I've ranged to about 1980 yards with my Swarovski, however, I've also shot my AM out to over 2000 yards at rocks etc.

The fact that the Swaro will range at the distances it does is a good thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fact that the AM has the horsepower to shoot beyond the Swaro's ranging capabilities is an even better thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sooooo, actually, it just means I need to get a better range finder, like a Wilde or similar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On game animals, under hunting conditions, the Swaro will do everything I need because I'll only take shots at game animals out to a certain distance and under certain conditions. Shots at game animals are only a very minuscule portion of the rounds that I send down range. However...............rocks are legal anytime they are visible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
From my review of threads I have determined that the Leica 1200 and Burris 1500 are very comparible with the Burris being able to range further consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I haven't compared the two side by side, from yours and everybody else's descriptions of the Leica 1200 I'd say that's a safe bet. My Newcon LRB 7X40's (same thing) go out to 1500+ on large objects (trees, rocks, etc) pretty easily. Buildings at that range are easy--every time you press the button. There's a new house visible from my deck that's 1546 yds away. How do you think I know that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's all hand-held too. Even in bright sunlight.

On something smaller like a deer, you don't even have to try hard until 7-800. Beyond that you need to try and get steady, especially if they're partially hidden by foilage, are facing you, etc, but they'll do a broadside deer at 1000 pretty easily if you're steady.

They are easily one of my favorite (if not my most favorite) hunting tool. I am always glassing for game with binoculars. With these I'm constantly pressing the button as well, ranging everything in sight just because I can't stop doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And because I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif When I spot some game I know how far it is within a second--unless it's really far and I range it numerous times. It would bug the hell out of me to have to put the binoculars down, get something else out of some pocket somewhere to get a range. I'm spoiled for life. While these obviously don't have the glass of my 7X50's, they're still a very decent set of binoculars. The loss in size and weight was worth it.

Again, only going from peoples' reviews, they won't reach out as far as the Swaros. But like I said above, I'm spoiled by the binocs. You just can't use one eye to glass the same way you can with binocs, no matter how good the optics (or at least I can't). When I want more range, I'll upgrade to their 3000 meter version--LRB 3000 PRO--unless something better comes along before then. I have no doubt they'll reach that far.

Also your point is very good on how these things can vary in performance. If you buy a Winchester, how accurate will it be? Probably depends on which one you get (although there obviously are trends that "usually" give you an idea). My first 7X50's sucked. Didn't work worth a ****. I complained to Newcon and they sent me a new pair that worked perfectly. The only reason I sold it was the size and weight. I've heard of the same thing happening with Geovids--sometimes you just get a lemon.

Dinked around in the back yart/shooting bench to day. Nice and clear. Russian olives are blooming leaves are nice and shiney.

Could regularly range a russian olive tree at 862 yards. But couln't range the sage brush ridge behind it just 100 more yards.

Could not range my 2 X 3 foot silver painted plywood someday target at 1031. Had to go about halfway to it and range to the target then to the bench (large white plastic barrel) then do the math.

I was only able to range the 1031 target and surrounding sage brush ridge only once, early this spring right after a rain. Everything was wet.

Thus it seems to me that a Opti-logic 1000 XL would consistently outrange my Leica. Sound reasonable?

The short answer is "I don't know" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The problem is that with that much money is tied up in one LRF its tough to purchase another to compare.

I don't think I could make a decision until "I" used the two side by side in the conditions "I" shoot.

This thread didn't result in enough information to make a decision. If it would have someone else would have my Leica and I'd have their Optic-Logic.

When I really got to thinking a consideration that had greater value that I first thought is that with the Leica there is no need for binos. Thus, one thing to carry and keep track of.

[ QUOTE ]
When I want more range, I'll upgrade to their 3000 meter version--LRB 3000 PRO--unless something better comes along before then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, with a big bonus coming from work, figuring it was only fair to blow a portion of it on myself for a toy I didn't really need but would have a lot of fun with.....

I now have a 3000 Pro. With the upgraded accuracy of my rifle and some of Richard's fancy bullets on the way, I figured it wouldn't be long until I'd be wanting to plink at ranges the old 7X40's wouldn't handle...staring at toppo maps with a ruler, driving around with a GPS just to try and find a place to shoot at a certain range could get old. I think I'm covered now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.