LR on a Short Action?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Dekker, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Dekker

Dekker Member

Hi all, I have been shooting with a few of my friends who have me caught up shooting their long range rigs. So I am going to ask a few questions, so moderators if I put this in the wrong place please move it to the appropriate forum.
    Due to the expense I would like to try an build from components that I already have.
    I have on hand a Rem 700VS which will give me a short action and HS stock, I also have a 30" Krieger 6.5 barrel.
    Question what cartridge will make a max of 1000yds with this combination? I am not looking to max out a cartridge to get there. Just trying to use what I have to get into shooting without going broke. Both my friends are shooting 338 Lapuas and I will say they are very nice but expensive to shoot (component speaking) and was thinking I would get in a lot more practice and shooting going with a smaller cartridge.
    Thoughts?

Thanks
    David

2. Nieko

Nieko Well-Known Member

6.5 SAUM-shorter case than a WSM, great velocity with 140's especially in a 30" tube-easy 1000yd +(wyatts extended mag box gives about 2.9 COAL capacity

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Sounds like a rig just crying to be turned into a .260 Remington.

4. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Depends on what you want to do with it, but we shoot to 1k with the 6.5x47 Lapua.

5. azsugarbear

azsugarbear Well-Known Member

+1 for the 260 Rem.

6. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

The 6.5x47 Lapua would be my first pick, more efficient than the 260 Rem, but brass is more expensive. Either of them will get you to 1K easily. Personally, I would go with the 6.5x47 and get a bunch of brass, Berger 130's, and H4350. It basically gets the same velocity as a 260 with less powder.

7. Racr350

Racr350 Active Member

Another vote for the 260 Rem. That setup would be ideallllll for an easy 1000yd rig.

8. Dekker

Dekker Member

Thanks for the replies, I have been looking at the 6.5x47 Lapua & 260 Rem since they have been brought up. I see that Lapua is now making 260 brass. I am curious why nobody mentioned the 6.5 Creedmoor, seems to be very close to both other rounds.
    If I was to use this for hunting, long range coyotes would probably be it.
    Any recommendations on a gunsmith to put this together without having to wait until next year?

Thanks
    David

9. Racr350

Racr350 Active Member

GA Precision is known for great work with 260 based rigs. As far as the 6.5 Creedmoor, i see that caliber as a LR caliber for AR based rifles. IMO, bolt action rifles would benefit more from the 260. Just my .02 though...

10. pablo

pablo Active Member

Think you're on the right track with the 260. My son has a 260AI that is a very good performer. With the sharp shoulder it really needs a center feed box. Thanks for the poop that Lapua now makes 260 brass. The last set of cases we fireformed were made out of 243 Lapua brass.

11. RH300UM

RH300UM Well-Known Member

+1 on the 6.5x47 Lapua.
    Try RBros Rifles. Travis is busy but sure is worth the wait and every penny.

12. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Travis is both a good shooter and gun builder. He has not built anything for me, but I know he does good work.

Chuck @ Mac's Gunworks has built several rigs for me-very accurate!
    He could get it done in the time frame you want too.