Lot # To Lot # Stability???

Colorado Luckydog

I always hear that different lot numbers of the same ammo will produce different results. With todays premium factory ammo how much can that difference be? What kind of differences are the most common? Has the progress and technology minimized the stability differences from lot # to lot #? It seems to me that Hornady is putting out a very superior product with their ELD-X ammo. I have 6.5 creedmooor and a 300 wsm that love it. I would love to reload but that is not an option for me until I retire. Thank you again for sharing information. I really appreciate you guys taking time to answer my questions.

I have just never seen what seems to have turned into a monster of it's own with huge claws that just wont let go. I was around a lot of differetnt 223, 308, and a few 300WM that shot all kinds of factory ammo in the 90's-early 00's. We would have 3, 4, 5 different lots and mix and match all the time. We borrowed swapped used any ammo that was out for the day. We would shoot out to 600yds and ran the same dope and zero. We maybe had to add a click or two for zero now and then. The only difference we ever saw was brand, cartridge line, bullet type, and bullet weights only thing that made a noticeable difference. Only one I know details of today is a buddy with a 280Rem shooting 140 Core Lokt.....he just buys a couple boxes when he needs some more ammo. Never has changed anything with the rifle or ammo, and he has been shooting that rifle since late 80's and it still holds .5". (Remington Mountain Rifle)

While most all my shooting is done with hand-loads, there are a few cartridges/rifles that I will use factory ammo. Regardless of whether it's factory ammo or components used for hand-loads, I make a strong attempt to anticipate volume requirements and buy in larger lot quantities…..and do a test/check with new purchases against a recorded standard(velocity, SD, accuracy, etc). While availability of both ammo and components is universally dismal compared to past years, lot to lot consistency seems to be improved, more-so with components then ammo. But…I will still check them for consistency and make adjustments if necessary.

I'll be the odd man out and say it does make a difference. Shoot a pile of it over a chrono and you will see. The Hornady stuff is no exception. One of my buddies bought a large quantity of 6.5 PRC 147 eldm and that lot was 200 fps slower then any other lot had been. Basically Creedmoor speed. Same with the 300 prc, Different buddy had 2 boxes from different lots and the one was pretty hot and showed some minor pressure signs, the other averaged 90 fps slower and showed nothing.

If your competitive shooting then it's worth buying by lot. If your slinging rounds or hunting your calibers normal ranges you won't see a difference.
I think the jist of your comment is right, but "normal" seems to be changing with time, and means different things to different people.
While I may surely,shoot game at ranges that may be considered "normal", most all of my rifles/loads I hunt with these days are constructed with the "potential" to shoot at the longer ranges should the opportunity and conditions present itself….And on several occasions over the years, this has paid off. For this reason, the approach I use with my hunting rifles is not so different from my competition rifles, and perhaps even more intense I some respects. While the manufacturers may be improving their processes, I have not yet built the confidence to shoot factory ammo, or untested components in rifles with the aforementioned purpose in mind.
I realize though, that not everyone has this intention, or goal in mind.