Looking to upgrade my scope

KyleC

I have a Borden .300 Win Mag and I want to upgrade the scope. Currently has a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 on it and I want to go something higher power. My two choices are:

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT with Plex reticle. Not sure I will like the dial system on this.

NightForce NXS 5-22x50 MOAR reticle

I know there is quite a bit of weight difference between the two. My rifle weighs 6# 9oz bare and as long as it comes in under 10# I'll be happy.

FWIW, The Nightforce sale is through all Nightforce authorized dealers from 5/23-5/28. It is a NF sanctioned sale allowing you to buy any NXS at a discount from your choice of NF dealers

I have a Borden .300 Win Mag and I want to upgrade the scope. Currently has a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 on it and I want to go something higher power. My two choices are:

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT with Plex reticle. Not sure I will like the dial system on this.

I know there is quite a bit of weight difference between the two. My rifle weighs 6# 9oz bare and as long as it comes in under 10# I'll be happy.

I hunt in the mountains as there is not a flat patch of ground anywhere nearby that I can hunt. I am also 64 so humping even a day kit around is punishing after a few days. Everything in my hunting kit as about weight reduction. I bought the Swarovski last year as its weight to optic quality can not be beat. Having used it all last season on a 7mm Rem Mag I would say I am OK with it. It's low weight is appreciated, it's optic quality is excellent, I am not bothered by the dials at all. What I don't like about it, that I wish I had known is I find the eye relief a problem, it's very unforgiving. I have the Nightforce you mention on another rifle. It has great optics and very forgiving on the eye relief. It is extra weigh which may or may not matter to you depending on where and how you hunt. BTW if you end up conflicted I eventually was able to get used to the unforgiving Swarovski eye relief (still don't love it) and harvested some very nice animals last year. On balance the lighter weight was a decent trade off.

i shoot the 56mm version on a 300 win mag, and like it( so do the navy SEALS).
at the sale price i would jump on it.

I have a Borden .300 Win Mag and I want to upgrade the scope.

I have Z5 5-25-52 Swarovski. 8-32-56 NXS and 5-25-56 ATACR second focal plane. IMO the 1" Z5 is noticeably more clear at 100 yds than either Nightforce. At half the price. It's two different worlds. You're paying for mechanical excellence in the Nightforce torrent system. The Nightforce works. I have just started ranging the Z5 BT. It is showing promise. Confidence in your tools is what it is about. I bout the Z5 for a 17 oz hunting rifle scope. Either brand should stand behind their products for the purpose is was built. IMO.

Tract Optics Toric 30mm 4-20x50 FFP made in Japan in MOA
Mrad directly from the manufacture MSR @ $1294. The Toric scope (UHD) optics Schott High Transmission (HT) glass. There is NO middleman.

Pick the reticle you want then the scope. Swaro have nice glass for sure but the turrets in a NF earned their reputation while also earning their durability reputation. You have a 6# rifle so the weight penalty is making a 9# rig a 12# rig after a good mount and rings. Your not going to regret either

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.