looking to rebarrel a rifle, which one is the best?

If it won't shoot 1/4" groups consistantly (@ 100yds.), every time, it is not a 1/4" rifle! Same goes for any other number you might replace the measurement with! A quick check of the stats from a sanctioned (NBRSA) bench rest match at Tomball Gun Club (Tomball, TX) shows the winning shooter having an aggregate score of. 268" (the average of 5 ten shot goups). The smallest group of the day, from any of the participants, was .177".

If it won't shoot 1/4" groups consistantly (@ 100yds.), every time, it is not a 1/4" rifle! Same goes for any other number you might replace the measurement with! A quick check of the stats from a sanctioned (NBRSA) bench rest match at Tomball Gun Club (Tomball, TX) shows the winning shooter having an aggregate score of. 268" (the average of 5 ten shot goups). The smallest group of the day, from any of the participants, was .177".

I do not shoot Benchrest. I shoot from a benchrest. I say again the ball is in your court!

Haha doesn't look like he is going to play ball..... must be scared! :D

Betcha all those BENCHREST Rifles cost a lot more than my $449.00 Rem. too. I'll also bet they were not shooting 5 or more different powders. I try all kinds of different powders in my rifles. If I want to shoot a 5 shot 1/4" group, I will load a proven load and shoot it. I have shot many 5 shot groups @ 100 yds. that could be covered with a dime. I also know that others can too. Like you said, "Remington rules."

$449 and your remington will outshoot all those high dollar benchrest rifles. That's pretty amazing! Don't let the secret out though, all those benchrest guys will make a mad run for the local wal-mart. Wal-mart's already stretched to it's limit with the Black Friday/pre-Christmas rush, it wouldn't do for them to be bombarded by a bunch of target shooting loonies itching to trade in their $5000 built rifles on a M700 ADL!

I've decided on having Hart re-barrel my Mod 70 7STW. For $700, they replace the barrel with whatever you choose (I'm sure there are some limitations), take off the old barrel, true action, lap lugs etc, install barrel of choice and send it back. I checked a few shops in town, including the one I go to for advice and straight shooting no BS info, and the shop owner said that if he were going to do it, it's what he would do. His price was generally around $600 start to finish, but it didn't include working over the action like Hart says they do. $700 isn't cheap, but as much as I shoot, it will last me 30 years.

$449 and your remington will outshoot all those high dollar benchrest rifles. That's pretty amazing! Don't let the secret out though, all those benchrest guys will make a mad run for the local wal-mart. Wal-mart's already stretched to it's limit with the Black Friday/pre-Christmas rush, it wouldn't do for them to be bombarded by a bunch of target shooting loonies itching to trade in their $5000 built rifles on a M700 ADL!

Never said it would outshoot a BR rifle. Read what I stated again. You can make whatever you want out of it though I suppose. That's your decision. I stand behind what I did say though.

........... SARGESNIPER

I don't care if you shoot BR or not, sarge! Jud69 is the guy claiming to have stock Rems. shooting "in the .2s and 1/8". Play ball!? Heck no! Not with BS being spouted for fact in this thread! I can hear all the BS I want at any range or gunshop! The BS flag has been raised. If Rem. factory barrels shot that good no one would bother with a any other barrel. They'd be removing barrels off of their Winchesters, Savages, Coopers, Kimbers or whatever other brand you can think of and replacing them with a "take-off" Rem barrel! I've got a pile of maybe 40-60 that I'd take scrap price for,, 'cause that's where they'll end up,,, with the rest of the scrape steel! We don't "drink the CoolAid", here. But, you guys need to back-off on how much of it you're drinking! 1/2" I might believe,,,, in the .2s and 1/8",,,,,,, horsepuckey!!

OK guys. Bars closed, take it outside and don't get any blood on the sidewalk.

LOL

Bartlein, brux, rock, channlyn, kreiger are all really good. But most important is who chambers and fits the new barrel.

I shoot 1/8" groups all the time. With boring repetition. Disclaimer is they're all one shot groups.

Brand of barrel makes no difference. No BS here.

I am going to rebarrel a badly burned out .257 Weather by Mark V and I'd like some input on who makes the best barrel as far as accuracy and durrabilty goes, or if there is really much of a difference from company to company. I know the .257 is fairly notorious for burning barrels so I want something that will last.

My experience is stay away from Douglas Premium and consider a
white oak/wilson barrel for high Quality with out robbing you wallet !

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.