looking to rebarrel a rifle, which one is the best?

Not sure the current popular choice today where people are getting them done for single barrels but I know there are a few placing that offer it. I have been having barrels nitrided since 07-08 (AR-15 barrels specifically) but we got those done in terms of batch weight which was 300lb-600lb IIRC i.e 50-100 barrel run. As long as it was alloys that needed the same treatment protocol it could be done together. It was far less than chrome lining and none of the draw backs. It was also far far less expensive CL and did not require cleaning up the crown and chamber/throat after, which is necessary with CL if you want reasonable accuracy.

The first time we worked out the cost I was scratching me head trying to figure out where the catch was. 1/5 the cost of CL, done way faster, no neg effects on dimensions ie. accuracy issues, also took care of the outside of the barrel so no more blasting cabinet prep and parkarizing hot baths etc. The only mistake we every made was on the first batch we did not drill the gas ports prior and had to switch to solid carbide bits to cut thru the surface. Same with taper pinning of the GB.

The only thing we had to do that was extra was the final polish on the bore. The company we used did not have the capability at the time to polish the barrel bores. That was a straight forward process for us though with the use of bore paste and hundred or so strokes with a snug mop. Went from a rough surface to a bright shiny sleek black surface that was extremely hard to ever get to foul. A few other companies that had tried nitriding around the same time as this had reps for horrible copper fouling. This was solely because they had never had the company that did the nitriding do the final polish and or did not do it themselves. Thus it was left to customers to figure out. But that is all old news these days.

We did it after gas port drilling and with the number round count more than doubled before gas port erosion. Not to mention bore / chamber fouling was almost non existent. No worries about bore pitting/ corrosion etc..

After testing the first batch of nitrided barrels we never had another barrel CL.

I would not hesitate to do it to every barrel I purchase.

Word of caution. Make sure you have the chamber cut to exactly what you want it to before hand because you do not want to begin to try and make a reamer cut once its been nitrided. There are ways to do it, say when cutting a barrel back, but its still a PITA and you will loose the protection in the areas you do cut thru.

Huuuuh? Current price list from Pac-Nor says $310 for match S.S. blank, Harts list $315-$320 for the same. Are you comparing an installed barrel to a barrel blank? I know Harts' price includes shipping. Does Pac-Nors' price?

Nothing short of Ceramic is going to give better barrel life and then maybe. Barrels are an expendable item. You have a barrel burner there. None are the best, just some a little better than others. Most good barrels will cost pretty much the same with exception of a few. You can get a bad barrel from any of them but likely you won't. No experience with melonite but others here do. Just pick a barrel and go with the flow is probably what most will tell you. Good luck with your project. BTW I have off the shelf Rem. 700 factory barrels that shoot extremely well. 1/4" or better.
.......... LARRY

A Lothar Walther may be worth considering. The LW50 Steel they are made of is reputed to be very hard. Indeed some Gunsmiths do not like Machining them for this very reason. They just may stand up to the throat erosion of the .257 Roy better than other Steels.

Brit.

In all honesty, I think that 99.% of us or more can't tell the difference from any of the top of the line match barrel companies. I have bought a Shillein and a Bartlein and was unable to tell any difference other than I got my Shillein 4 mos. earlier. Both great barrels but if I had to pick one of the two.... Shillein had a lil better customer service. Just my experience and hope it helps

Nothing short of Ceramic is going to give better barrel life and then maybe. BTW I have off the shelf Rem. 700 factory barrels that shoot extremely well. 1/4" or better.
.......... LARRY
I'll agree, barrels are an expendable. When it's shot out, it's shot out. I have a lot of personal experience with Melonite/Black Nitride traeted barrels. Average barrels steel hardness, S.S. or CM, ranges fron 30C to 35C. Melonite/Black Nitride treatment infuses nitrogen into the surface and draws carbon to the surface raising surface hardness to above 60c. The harder surface does NOT break down nearly as quickly as a surface thats not been treated, thus increasing accurate barrel life significantly. I'm not the only shooter/gunsmith thats experienced this. I was introduced to the process by an avid bench rest shooter. The treatment of barrels started with those guys, looking to keep that "hummer" shooting competitive groups longer. Some machine gun barrels are Melonite/Blk. Nitride treated because it makes them useable longer. And,,, !/4" Rem. 700 factory barrels? We didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday! If Rem. fctory barrels shot that good there wouldn't be nearly as many of 'um for sale on the auction sites,,,,, and at 'scrap' price, ta' boot!

I'll agree, barrels are an expendable. When it's shot out, it's shot out. I have a lot of personal experience with Melonite/Black Nitride traeted barrels. Average barrels steel hardness, S.S. or CM, ranges fron 30C to 35C. Melonite/Black Nitride treatment infuses nitrogen into the surface and draws carbon to the surface raising surface hardness to above 60c. The harder surface does NOT break down nearly as quickly as a surface thats not been treated, thus increasing accurate barrel life significantly. I'm not the only shooter/gunsmith thats experienced this. I was introduced to the process by an avid bench rest shooter. The treatment of barrels started with those guys, looking to keep that "hummer" shooting competitive groups longer. Some machine gun barrels are Melonite/Blk. Nitride treated because it makes them useable longer. And,,, !/4" Rem. 700 factory barrels? We didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday! If Rem. fctory barrels shot that good there wouldn't be nearly as many of 'um for sale on the auction sites,,,,, and at 'scrap' price, ta' boot!

I can attest to Remington factory barrel accuracy. Haven't seen one yet that wouldn't shoot well under 1/2". My 700 .243 Varmint shoots in the .2s and it is completely factory other than the bedding and floated barrel. My Remington .270 ADL is also a tack driver. The best one of them all is my Dad's .222 Varmint Special, it will shoot 1/8" groups all day long, it is super fun and an amazing rifle. I think most barrels you see for sale are take off barrels that are unfired, guy buys a 24" barreled '06 and then uses the action for a custom build. Not that the factory barrel was junk, just that he doesn't have a use for it.

I can attest to Remington factory barrel accuracy. Haven't seen one yet that wouldn't shoot well under 1/2". My 700 .243 Varmint shoots in the .2s and it is completely factory other than the bedding and floated barrel. My Remington .270 ADL is also a tack driver. The best one of them all is my Dad's .222 Varmint Special, it will shoot 1/8" groups all day long, it is super fun and an amazing rifle. I think most barrels you see for sale are take off barrels that are unfired, guy buys a 24" barreled '06 and then uses the action for a custom build. Not that the factory barrel was junk, just that he doesn't have a use for it.
Like I said, I didn't "fall off the turnip truck yesterday!" Nither did many who visit this forum. When any internet forum degrades into wild claims, that can't be substantiated, it no longer becomes a place to post of visit!

Last edited:
Like I said, I didn't "fall off the turnip truck yesterday!" Nither did many who visit this forum. When any internet forum degrades into wild claims, that can't be substantiated, it no longer becomes a place to post of visit!

I don't know how you can argue when I can put five rounds through the same hole. I just think some people look down on Remingtons, but that's alright. Kind of like them boys who think their $70,000 sports car is the greatest thing since sliced bread but it gets beat by a bone stock Mustang or a diesel pickup haha. You must have hit your head really hard when you fell off that dang turnip truck...

Nope, haven't fallen or been hit in the head. Just gotta' real aversion to BS! You need to look at some of the stats from NBRSA before making unsubstantiated accuracy claims. You don't get to score your own target at a sanctioned BR match. Remingtons barrels are "good enough" for many, but they're not target quality by any stretch of the imagination. And, evidentally, you've got quit an imagination!

Nope, haven't fallen or been hit in the head. Just gotta' real aversion to BS! You need to look at some of the stats from NBRSA before making unsubstantiated accuracy claims. You don't get to score your own target at a sanctioned BR match. Remingtons barrels are "good enough" for many, but they're not target quality by any stretch of the imagination. And, evidentally, you've got quit an imagination!

Well if you are ever in Louisiana Mr. shortgrass I will gladly let you shoot both of my .308's and prove to yourself how very wrong you are. I don't imagine 3/4" to 1 1/4" 5 shot groups @ 300 yds. either. I just shoot and measure them. And no, not every group is that small. A factory Rem. 700 with varmint contour barrel is what I always buy and prep the barrel. These rifles have shot 1/4" and better @ 100 yds. And all were 5 shot groups. I do not care if you believe it or not. You are welcome to shoot them any time you wish. The ball is in your court.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.