Looking to buy a 308 Battle Rifle

308 is overkill for home defense. Plus it's heavy and awkward for ccb. I have a 9mm handgun with optic and a 9mm ar pistol. Takes glock mags. 32 rounds. With aimpoint it's dead nuts inside 50yds. Inside 25 yds head shots no problem. With federal hydroshock 2 it's a killer.

Getting off topic a bit, but pistol rounds
are more prone to over penetration than 5.56 in cqb. It does seem counter initiative, but the rifle rounds are more likely to break up against light barriers, where the pistol rounds, being heavier, will have more momentum.
Box Of Truth did a test years ago. With layers of drywall, and pistol rounds penetrated just as much as 5.56. Couple that with the better internal ballistic performance of 5.56, and you see why most swat/entry teams are now running mk18s over mp5s/PCCs.

Getting off topic a bit, but pistol rounds
are more prone to over penetration than 5.56 in cqb. It does seem counter initiative, but the rifle rounds are more likely to break up against light barriers, where the pistol rounds, being heavier, will have more momentum.
Box Of Truth did a test years ago. With layers of drywall, and pistol rounds penetrated just as much as 5.56. Couple that with the better internal ballistic performance of 5.56, and you see why most swat/entry teams are now running mk18s over mp5s/PCCs.
It really depends on what ammo you are using. The fbi did extensive testing with different rounds in 9mm. There was a big difference between various rounds in regards to minimum penetration and over penetration.

It really depends on what ammo you are using. The fbi did extensive testing with different rounds in 9mm. There was a big difference between various rounds in regards to minimum penetration and over penetration.
Very true. With both pistol, and rifle rounds, penetration can very quite a bit depending on the bullet. Internal ballistics though, 5.56 beats pistol every time, from the data I've come across.

How about a Franken14? lol

20230813_120537.jpg

My favorite truck gun when I hunted a lot by the TexMex border.

Intended use is Home defense, combat training and predator control/hunting
This is a tall order lumped into one esp., in semi-auto.

A 12g shotgun is my primary home defense.

For CQ/combat training, I have an IWI Tavor SAR in .223/5.56 and a few handguns to complement it.

IWI Tavor .223 5.56.jpg

Walther PPQ 9MM.jpeg

For predator control/hunting, I have an AR-10 in 308 Win suppressed. I also have an RR in .223 Wylde.
AR-10 .308 Win.jpg

Good luck on your quest, and keep us posted on your decision.

Recent Posts