Looking to get my first AR - DPMS??

codybrown

I have enough 223's, so I've decided on getting a 308. I found a brand new DPMS compact hunter locally for $1080 as a discontinued model. The rifle is fairly light at 7.75 pounds, and I like the way it feels when I shoulder it. From what I've read there isn't really a "standard" that all AR10's are built to. The rifle will be used mostly for plinking at 300 yards or less, and occasionally deer hunting so the 16" barrel wont really be an issue as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone have any experiences with this rifle in particular, or with DPMS as a whole? This is a whole new experience for me and as it turns out there's a lot to learn about the AR world. Here's a link to the rifle: COMPACT HUNTER

Any other/better recommendations?

Over the years I have owned 3 AR's, all DPMS. The one I have now is the MK 12 SPR in 5.56. Never a problem with any of them. DPMS makes very accurate barrels. My SPR will do 5 shot groups in the .3's.

I have the Remington, which is DPMS, as they are both owned by the same parent company. It is chambered in 7mm08. It is very accurate, keeping shots inside .5MOA, and functions as reliably as my AR 15 platforms.

Bought a 24" bull barrel DPMS .308 three deer seasons ago. So far, four shots, four deer down. If I were buying a second one, I would get the compact hunter, but I WON'T give up my 24"; it just shoots too darn good! I did put in a Geissele SSA-E trigger, which tightened up my group from about 2" to 0.75" @ 100yd.

DPMS is as good as any. My personal choice would be a 260 instead of the 308. Less recoil, flat trajectory, great 6.5 bullets to choose. I have also gone to suppressors and absolutely love them!
You may also want to look strongly at putting a good adj. gas block on you ARs. Makes a world of difference when you dial in the right amount of gas to operate it! You won't be wrong in getting a 308, but the 260 .....sweet.

My son bought a light hunter last year.
The **** thing shoots so well I HAD to buy one for myself.
I just got the scope and whatnots together to put on the rifle.
My son and I have the 20" rifles and like I said, Carls is very accurate.
I hope mine is as good as his. I would suggest the DPMS to anyone that asks.

I have enough 223's, so I've decided on getting a 308. I found a brand new DPMS compact hunter locally for $1080 as a discontinued model. The rifle is fairly light at 7.75 pounds, and I like the way it feels when I shoulder it. From what I've read there isn't really a "standard" that all AR10's are built to. The rifle will be used mostly for plinking at 300 yards or less, and occasionally deer hunting so the 16" barrel wont really be an issue as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone have any experiences with this rifle in particular, or with DPMS as a whole? This is a whole new experience for me and as it turns out there's a lot to learn about the AR world. Here's a link to the rifle: COMPACT HUNTER

Any other/better recommendations?

Have it delivered to u at $750 from me...Remmington DPMS

I have a dpms lr308 with 24" barrel and it is a shooter, I put an aftermarket trigger in and with my reloads it will shoot 1/2" groups if I do my part. I have yet to see a dpms that will not shoot good.

DPMS is as good as any. My personal choice would be a 260 instead of the 308. Less recoil, flat trajectory, great 6.5 bullets to choose. I have also gone to suppressors and absolutely love them!
You may also want to look strongly at putting a good adj. gas block on you ARs. Makes a world of difference when you dial in the right amount of gas to operate it! You won't be wrong in getting a 308, but the 260 .....sweet.

Dpms discontinued the 6.5 Creed and the 260Rem. Talked to them yesterday 2/25/15 and they have no idea when they will make more. In fact the sales guy I talked to didn't seem to know much of anything. Called Tombstone Tactical in Arizona today and the sales guy there just laughed and said to fill out the e-mail notification so when one comes in I'll be on the list but don't hold your breath. He said I'd be better off bldg my own. Just wondering what the heck is up with DPMS

Good question! I wonder if 260s are flying out the door ( my hope) or if something else, and not good, happening there. keep us informed!

I have one of the older DPMS LR's in .243win. Sweet little rifle, function well & shoots just as good. A trigger upgrade is a must as the "mil-spec" triggers flat out blow.

If you are wanting the .308, I strongly urge you look at the new GII models. It's a near complete redesign & they are really good.

t

My brother in-law (FFL) just called me, he just got off the phone with DPMS and all he had to say was "what a bunch of idiots" he said won't do business with them so he would keep looking for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.