Looking for recommendations on a reliable wsm rifle

Smokepoles

I'm trying to acquire a new 300 wsm for an elk hunt this year and having some trouble. I picked up an x bolt in an attempt to end the debate and every piece of brass ejected hit the scope and landed back in the action (after a couple scopes and sets of rings), I got rid of that one. I had a tikka a while back that functioned flawlessly but isn't really what I'm looking for. I don't have time to build one at this point, can anyone recommend a good functioning, reliable factory rifle in 300 wsm that I could mount a scope with big target turrets on without issue? I don't have extensive experience with rifles chambered in wsm and don't want to be blindsided with annoying issues. rifles main purpose will be backpacking for elk, shots out to a max of 5-600 if I can get it shooting and have enough time to practice with it. My biggest concern is accuracy and am hoping for a good stock with a big palm swell. I can palm a basketball, the ruger and savage type grips just don't work for me. I can replace a stock if necessary so not a total deal breaker, just looking for good reliable function. Thanks in advance.

I have a model 70 in 300 WSM and has performed flawlessly, also hear good things about Kimber.

My Savage Model 12 doesn't have the issue. No problems cycling either....

Smoke, my friend's Savage 12 in 300WSM is a very accurate rifle. No glitches, easy to load for and with an aftermarket stock looks good.

I have a Tikka in 300 wm that I replaced the stock with a McMillan Sako Hunter, replaced the bottom plastic with aluminum so I could torque it down to 60 inch pounds, put a Swarovski Z3 ballistic turret with Talley light weight rings and I love it. Have no problems ejecting shells and the total weight is eight pounds. With that scope depending what range it is sighted in at it will get to 600 - 700 yards.

I'd grab a Tikka, if you need to seat the bullets longer you just need a magnum box and trim the bolt stop back and you can seat them way out.

Thx guys, ya I load for the wsm and have an abundance of components for it already otherwise I would move onto something else. I could just take an 06 and most likely be fine but I like the extra insurance the extra powder in the wsm provides. My tikka wasn't bad but I'd like to try something different if there's a well regarded option available without a long wait.

I posted in your other thread and mainly just wanted to watch this one. But whatever you get, be sure and let us know how it runs.

Every WSM I've looked at and researched seems to have something I don't like and/or a known issue or 2. But my heart is set on one in 270 wsm for some reason.

I have three 270 WSM builds in right now all on different actions and set up for 165 Matix and 170 Bergers seated out, the Tikka is stupid easy and one of my favorite because of the action quality and ease of the magazine. A Montana action for a control feed with an over 3 inch coal make a sweet one as well, then the long action Rem is kinda bottom of the pickins but with a little tweaking and mag box mods it feeds like butter also, I have a Savage model 12 as well.
I've made and had many WSM's and never had feeding issues with a center feed action like the Tikka or newer Savage, I have had to build my own box mag to get super feeding from stagger feeds though. I honestly don't think much will feed a WSM like a Tikka, it's like butter!!!

Uh huh it's too bad you don't like the Tikka's. I had a Tikka 270 WSM that I sold thinking I should try a Savage, man that was a mistake I bought a Tikka 7mm rem mag 4 months later.
If you want a light accurate backpacking gun then you aren't going to beat a Tikka, unless you get one of the $2000 Semi custom ultralights, which I would recommend if you have the money.
Check out the Kimber American Ascent available in 300 WSM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.