Looking for a good gps???????

hillajam

I have been looking at new handheld gps's and like the sounds of the new Bushnell Onix 400. Do any of you guys have any experiance with this unit?
It's a lot of money and just wanted to get some good opinions before I buy. Also if not the Bushnell, what gps would you recommend and why? I like the fact that the Bushnell lets you layer Topo, ariel photos and weather. I'm from Michigan and am planning to go out west to Colorado for an elk hunt in a couple years.

Thanks guys,
James

Hey James,

I've been meaning to call you (and congratulate you!)

I recently bought the Garmin GPSmap 76CSX its a great unit.

If you want to play with it, drop me a note or call me and we can meet for some coffee and catch up.

AJ

I'll second the Garmin. In my opinion, stick with a company that has been in the business for a while and knows their stuff. I have a 60CS among other older Garmin units. While not as feature packed as the 76CSX AJ mentioned, it is an outstanding unit. I have found all Garmin units to be user friendly, accurate, and durable.

I have a Garmin Etrex legend. it is simple and even I can use it. I do not buy the stuff for it. I use a compass and hard paper map to back it up. I always forget to change the battery in the compass needle but somehow it keeps point north anyway whereas the electronic GPS don't do nuttin with a dead battery.

I know you didn't ask, but the Silva Ranger is a very good compass.

In case you really wanted to know, if you have three maps then you will wind up in three different places according to your GPS. Try it sometimes when you are bored. Seems Einstein's theories may not have been made know to the cartographers. Of course we then introduce the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle which states that an electron and an elk hunter are always lost.

I have a Garmin map 60CS and love this unit. As the others have said, it's easy to use and is in a nice size package. The new version (CSX) probably has some more nicer features so that's a big plus.

The models mentioned from Garmin are cetainly one of the best for our purposes, however if you want a basic unit, extremely portable and with low battery drainage, the Garmin Foretrex 101 is certainly worth a look.

Of course, no maps capable, but who cares?:)

Last edited:
Anything Garmin.

I have an older 76S and I love the thing. The new 60CS has removeable memory cards, color screen and gets signal much better than any of the older unit. I do not need a new one at this point because mine still works great but if I were it would be the 60CS.

SES50

i also have the rhino 530 and love it.

I own RIno 520 and is the best.
All my hunting friend have the Rino 520 / 530 units.
Are great units, with GPS, Radio, temp, altitudine, elev, etc.
The best unit for HUNTING SITUATION.

Chris

Thanks for all the info so far guys it's really helpful. I was a little nervous about the bushnell because they just started to get into this game. Could you guys tell me the features you like the most about your gps.

Thanks again

GPS

I have used a Magellan Meridian for the past 5 or so years and have never had any problem with it. Buffalo Bob is right, any GPS has to have batteries put in every once in awhile, kinda like the gun you carry, if you use some of the bullets you have to replace them or your gun won't work either. The main feature I like about this unit is the ease of use and accuracy. I find it amazing that you can download some coordinates from the computer into your GPS and then follow the arrow to the destination and be able to find a cache that someone hid in the middle of the mountains. I personaly use my GPS like this, 1. Mark my start point & shut of the GPS, (saves batteries) 2. Hunt til I put something down or want to go back 3.Start up the GPS and tell it to "GO TO" the starting spot which will always the shortest distance and go. A person can always find his way back to the start spot without a GPS or compass but a GPS will save a bunch of steps.

do any of these units have a removable antenna? I ofter wonder why they don't as the unit could be placed in your pack or pocket and the antenna on the shoulder strap of your pack and still keep tracking at all times. I find myself taking the unit and just trying to carry in my hand at times.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts