looking 257 wby data an help

coyotewallace

Well I'm interested in what everyone is reloading for the 257 wby..I'm kinda leaning toward the 100 g. barnes triple shock. any an all input would be helpful
THX
Chuck

I'll be developing load for my friend 257 Weatherby with 115 TSX in mind. I had been loading for him using Hornady 120 BTHP and IMR4350 with good result but I'm worried that the bullet might not be able to withstand the higher velocity that this round dished out. I'll post the result as soon as I'm done.

This was taken from a post using using the 'SEARCH' tool!!'I'm shooting 73.5 grains of RL22 with federal 215m primers, bought Weatherby brass, 100 tsx, with an oal of 3.425", all going into a 1/2 inch hole. My gun is a mkv ultralightweight with 26" barrel.'

killed anything with this load/bullet yet?? If so can you post details or PM them to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I plan on shooting whitetails mainly but anything with fur here on the east coast...no question this round an bullet will get the job done.

my mark V liked the 4350 under nosler 100 bt. I loaded on the hot side and the groups were almost one hole at 100 yards. A friends rifle did not like the load at all, his shot best with 3100 with the bt. Shot whitetails out to 429 yards with the 4350. Did not have to worry about tracking. Coyotes were almost ripped in half with that load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Same load worked well on a lope hunt in WY a few years back Shot my buck in the neck and had to get a new cape for the mount, the doe I shot was hit in the top of the shoulder and took it and part of the neck with it. Buck was around 150 yards and the doe was taken at 310 yards.

Thats why 257 wby stole my heart..I love her!! Shes beautiful. I have taken my high school sweet heart(my first true love-an the first high power rifle I bought-a
M-77 Ruger tang safty red pad)she was chambered in 7mm rem. Mag..I sent the rifle to Match Grade Machine to have her rebarreled an fluted finished in matte an chambered in 257 wby with a 26" barrel.

I day dream thinking of her.

All i could afford back then was a simmons(not bad-then)but when she gets home I got something for her....

Leupold Matte VX3 4.5-14x40 AO

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Coyotewallace,
I hunt with the 115 BT w/H1000 powder, 215 GM primer. They run around 3450+
fps. I have taken antelope, deer, and caribou with bullet and have not had any performance issues. All shot taken were between 200 to 450 yards. I had expected excessive damage but never had with the 115 grainer.
Understand the dreaming part, I have 2 257's one a Lazermark the other a Lhtwgt.

I would try the 115g btip myself. High BC, accurate, and will hold up well. I shot the same bullet at 3200fps out of my 25-06 and killed quite a few bucks past 400 yards, up to 600 yards, and 2 black bears past 400 yards with it. That 115g btip is quite the little killer. Might try the 110g AB if you think the btip wont hold up well enough. I can almost assure you wont have any problems, even with the extra 200fps. I am a shoulder shooter, true and through as I hate tracking. I have yet to recover a 115g btip from any deer shot at any distance or any angle, they simply just dropped like lightning at the shot.

thats really good info. keep it coming!!

what do you guys think about the 100g triple shocks?? Is there a reason behind not shooting them?? I think they will hold together, i can't see why not.

I did consider the 110g AB...an still think it would do well also.

Chuck

Barnes bullets are a love/hate relationship. I feel theres a lot more on the hate side. They are kinda pain in the *** to get to shoot, its not a problem of them holding up, its a matter of hitting what your aiming at farther then 200 yards away. There not the most accurate bullets, there BC's are a little exaggerated. I have tried the 100g xlc in my old 25-06, it was like buckshot pattern at 100 yards, then I tried the 165g xlc in my dads and uncle 300 win mag. Same thing, more like shotgun patterns then groups. I did what Barnes advised and started with a squeaky clean barrel and trying .050" from the lands. This is just my take on barnes bulles. I am a Nosler fan, I love the btips and AB"s. Not much of a partition guy. More into accurate bullets with higher BC's for longer shots.

I only have tried them in the 7STW and they are awesome in that rifle. (Accumark).
I was hoping to get some data from your post. I've just gotten so use to that 115 BT in those 257 rifles I'm not in any hurray to change. They both shoot well under 1" at 200 yards for me. (3 shot goups)
The only 100 grainer I've shot and taken game with is the 100 sierra w/RL-22.

well I have two boxes of them so I guess as soon as I get the rifle back I'll find out. I'm a nosler fan myself but ever where I turned in the last year all I have heard is how well they do so I have 100 to make shoot or give away. When I bought this rifle it was a 7mm rem. mag an the bullets I put with this gun were the 140 BT....Man what a mess on these east coast whitetails this bullet made. buckle their knees, They look like some drunk coming out of a bar after happy hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.