lookin for a new 25-06,question

Head shot

Been looking for awhile now & have 2 rifles in my mind a Tikka-3 or a T/C Venture. Does a 25-06 really need a 24'' barrel to get all the proformance the 25 has to offer? & what do Ya'll think about these 2 rifles ? Thanks Guys.

IMO, yes the 25-06 needs a 24" barrel to get what it's capable of.

26" barrel will give better than expected in my experience.
I've had two, still got one of them. The first had a 26 and I was getting about 100-150'/sec faster than the reloading book said I should. The current one has 24 and velocities are right where the book and ammo boxes say it should be.

I don't know anything about the particular rifles you mention though, sorry.

I will also agree that the 25-06 needs at least a 24" barrel and a 26" is better. Been shooting the 25-06 for a loooooooog time and as a deer rifle it is very hard to beat in my book. 117 Sierra @ 3000 or so fps is a real deer killer.

The worst thing gun company's ever did to the .25-06 Rem was put on a 24" barrel. 26" and even 28" are way better. You almost need to custom build one to get that any more though.

Well to answer both questions yes the 25-06 does better with a 24" barrel and best with a 26", 28" is not necessary unless you go to a 25-06AI or 25 Gibbs then its still not really worth it. As for the rifles you asked about, go for the T3, the new tikkas are super accurate, and why would you want a rifle that's 51% owned by a company that became known for there revolvers, yes T/C is majority owned by Smith and Wesson.

Hello guys, as far as barrel length is concerned can any one actually show that any lengths over 100 caliber are of any demonstrateable advantage with out the length becoming a bigger disadvantage. ( actual installed length)

Hey bud why don't you look at it in this prospective, see more than one picture. When you have a certain cartridge, for instance the 25 Gibbs the biggest I mentioned earlier it will hold around 72grns powder to the top of the neck about 65 usable, going through a 1/4 bore you will get about 10-12"s of powder flash( the distance that the charge is still pushing) then the bullet starts to stablize and glides out smoothly, when you start having longer barrels that obviously have more rifling in turn that's more drag but no more powder to get the extra push. Simple science bud, they call it friction.

and why would you want a rifle that's 51% owned by a company that became known for there revolvers, yes T/C is majority owned by Smith and Wesson

Well Ive had real good luck with the contender being a real shooter & a couple other rifles they make.seen a guy at the range with a 308 Venture shooting less than MOA. This rifle would be a truck gun & have a rough life as a double duty gun.The prices helps also @ 430.00 the quailty seemed to be up to Par.I do like the tikka also But the Venture is American made and it allows for a couple hundred dollars for optics.THUS My ? gun)

Oh I'm not a big S&W fan but they have a nice finish.

For the money I would also go with the T/C Venture. I have shot lots of both make rifles doing sight in work for a friends gun shop. Over all there has not been any difference between the accuracy of them with factory ammo. They both shoot on the average under 1 MOA. The Venture has a better trigger on average and is adjustable. Good glass will make any rifle shoot better because you can see what you are shooting at.:D Get the Venture and up grade the glass sounds good to me.

In that case if your looking for cheap, accurate, and easy to upgrade go to wal-mart and get a 110 or 111 fxp3 savage for 397.00 and take the cheap 3-9x40 off and sell it for 25 then you have 372 in a rifle that's free floated and has an accutrigger and probably will out shoot both that you mentioned and later down the road you can put a duramaxx stock on it and a 26" heavy barrell for around 375. Look at the weaver V24 mil dot scopes, they are cheaper than what I normally buy (379) but I got one for a 308 and its pretty nice for the money, they are 6-24x42AO.

Dropping from a 26 to a 22 can slow you down 75-150fps depending on bullet weight and powder burn rate.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.