Lightest 26" barrel question for 25-06

ol mike

I have enough heavy rifles and want to keep my 25-06 semi-light is it worth the effort/expense to flute a #4 barrel ?

I like the carbon fiber wrapped barrels but having $700 in a barrel is a little steep -and i don't think they really cut much weight.

It will be a 25-06 AI so i think a 26" in the minimum i'd want ,also thought about a 4.1 magnum sporter fluted and 28" long would be nice -but there i go building a heavier rifle -what to do?

Thanks -------Mike

Fluting a 26" #4 would probly cut what, maybe 3/4 lb? Is that worth the extra $150 or so to flute? I dont know, depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to save weight, which obviously you do, I would go for it. It also looks "cool." I dont think a 28" fluted bbl is going to be to lightweight. I got a 28" #5 fluted on our 338 EDGE and its still a little barrel heavy. I would definately stick with the 26" on the AI and flute it! Good luck with the 25-06 AI, I'm jealous!!

I shoot a 24" Lilja #3 on mine... it shoots like a champ, and packs well too. A fluted #4 is about the same weight as a standard #3... and cost quite a bit more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.