25-06 twist question.

ol mike

Howdoo,

I'm going to get a barrel on order when i get back from pd hunting in a week.

With a gun that i don't intend to shoot any bullets less than 100gr and up to 125gr wildcats , should i get a 1-9 or 1-10 twist?
Also the gun will become a 25-06 AI .

Also again--> can i use my lee collet dies for neck sizing only ? Thanks Mike
By the way i'm going to give rock creek barrels a whirl ,ss-27" -5R -#4 .

I shot a std 25-06 around 3100fps with the 125gr wildcats, they worked great. Hell of a long range thump.

1-10 will work fine, i dont know if the 1-9 would work better or not.

steve

I would not be surprised to hear that the 1-9 would be better as a rule. But I can tell you this, I have a Sendero
with the factory 1-10 barrel, Kirby did the AI conversion for me along with skim bedding & the desired accuracy enhancements. With 59 Gr. of RL25, Rem. brass, CCI Mag. Primers & the 125Wildcat I get 3,250FPS & my groups (3 shot)
hover between .25" & .35" until it needs cleaning. And yes, I am very happy with this gun & load!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NoMosendero

If you ever pop a whitetail with that thing please post a pic. I never got the chance to thump a whitail with mine and i always wanted to see what that bullet would do.

Those little suckers sure do pack a hell of a thump downrange.

steve

Big brother shot a Whitetail last fall with this load, last Oct. our group took 6 Antelope & 3 Mule Deer with this load, it was devasting. I have some pictures that was sent
to me, I will try to get copies on a disk & e-mail if I can figure it out. Oh the carnage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It seems odd to me when i see the calibers from 6.5 and down using 1-8" twist yet the 25 cal is 1-10".
Fast twist 1-8 are common in rebarrels for 22-24-26cal for heavy bullets but not 25cal..
Sometimes it seems like the 25 is the odd man out,i've thought about going to a 6.5-06 but ain't gonna.

Can i use my lee collet die to neck size 25-06 AI?

IF it would help any I have a 257 stw with a ten twist, bullet range 100 to 130 grain. Do a search for 25 cal and see what information that you can find. Lot of good stuff on here.

[ QUOTE ]
Can i use my lee collet die to neck size 25-06 AI?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 25-06 is not an AI, but I have the Lee Collets in many calibers and can't see why you couldn't make it work.

Just thinking "out loud" here, but you can lathe the bottom of the collet off to get the casing up into the die if needed. To go the other way you drop washers or a spacer made on a lathe (like I did) over the case as it sits in the shell holder. The latter is what I do to reloads that I only want to resize a portion of the neck.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts