Look at the monster mule bucks on the wall.....

This is not that hard to do but just not thought of to do at range. I hang some deer size targets at 300 and then hurry back to bench as fast as I can. I have cross sticks or bipod ready, I time the shot such I have to get it off within 30 seconds of reaching bench. Just a little game I play against myself. You have elevated your pulse, your self pressure etc. Is it same as animal? No but if you adhere to one shot ONLY it can help preparation for THAT shot that comes up in hunting scenarios. I do not allow a second shot since it defeats the concept.

In bow season, I take 1 arrow to yard, take one shot at 3D.

Hunting scenario shooting is something I have done for LONG time. It started with couple of guys at 3D bow range when we started to time shots and only allowing 1 arrow after walking up to the shot peg. Carried it over to rifles and added some fun and a little excitement.

The practice carries over into these shots if you accept 1 shot concepts. The ultimate test is taking 1 rifle 1 round to range, set the target hustle back to bench, get shot off in prescribed time. The hardest aspect is the commitment to the process. This is not "target practice" but "hunting practice".

I believe you will increase focus and mental preparation if you include "hunting practice" into your shooting regiment.

This is not that hard to do but just not thought of to do at range. I hang some deer size targets at 300 and then hurry back to bench as fast as I can. I have cross sticks or bipod ready, I time the shot such I have to get it off within 30 seconds of reaching bench. Just a little game I play against myself. You have elevated your pulse, your self pressure etc. Is it same as animal? No but if you adhere to one shot ONLY it can help preparation for THAT shot that comes up in hunting scenarios. I do not allow a second shot since it defeats the concept.

In bow season, I take 1 arrow to yard, take one shot at 3D.

Hunting scenario shooting is something I have done for LONG time. It started with couple of guys at 3D bow range when we started to time shots and only allowing 1 arrow after walking up to the shot peg. Carried it over to rifles and added some fun and a little excitement.

The practice carries over into these shots if you accept 1 shot concepts. The ultimate test is taking 1 rifle 1 round to range, set the target hustle back to bench, get shot off in prescribed time. The hardest aspect is the commitment to the process. This is not "target practice" but "hunting practice".

I believe you will increase focus and mental preparation if you include "hunting practice" into your shooting regiment.

VERY impressive!

One output I noticed was better processing of "the shot" since I knew it was "one and done". You get better at going through your shot step process whether rifle or bow and re-enforces those steps when the "heat is on"!

Muddyboots,

I did something similar over a couple years. I included moving target shots also. I wrote it out, including some actual hunting situations which cause me to add more and different training and called it "The Making of a Rifleman." Since I included some hunts, it longer than your post.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.