Look at the monster mule bucks on the wall.....

Thanks for putting that up Len

Good to watch, awfully nice bucks on the wall.

That scenario that Rob spoke of where the guide is excitedly yelling in the clients ear "shoot shoot shoot" did more to further the crap that people can't handle magnum recoil than anything else...I've always said that the guide is the one to keep things cool. Find the game, but just as importantly assess the clients physical and their shooting ability then get them in a position to win!

I've done a ton load of long range shooting of chucks in the mountains and it's taught me a ton about how to make things happen at range in the mountains.

Looks like a great class!

(side note Len, many moons ago I met you in one of Kirks camps in Sonora)

"(side note Len, many moons ago I met you in one of Kirks camps in Sonora)"

That was a fun hunt. Chased out a half day early by a blizzard.

Very inspiring video. Thanks for sharing Len...

I NEED to break free and start training for this stuff but I keep working "just one more year".... LOL

Looks really good to me. I'm running out of years at 76. But have one thing going. The Lord has granted me great health and sort of good conditioning.

Len--good video, is that one of your Titanium 6.5 GAP 4S Mountain Rifles? Do you know what NF he is using. My 6.5 that I got from you shoots great.

Yes that is but I don't know about the scope.

Glad to hear out your own rifle...!

I have a friend and outfitter in the Upper Peace River region of Alberta. He is a very small scale outfit. He takes more bear hunters than any other animal, but is lucky enough to get 3 or 4 whitetail tags every yr. The last time I was out there he told me in his experience there could be a true trophy buck standing broadside at 100yds and the Hunter could have anything from a tree, fence post, or hood of the truck as a rest, and he would bet on more misses than hits.
Now I don't know if he's been extremely unlucky and managed to book some of the sport's worst shots, or if that's the case in general.
The one thing I did take from the conversation is the fact that most folks don't really practice for the shot they may get.
Out of a box blind or shooting house it's a little different, but on a mountainous trek with real physical exertion being a factor, a guy better do some prepping. What a blast it would be to take a course like his and having and applying the knowledge.
Great video...thanks for posting.

Looks really good to me. I'm running out of years at 76. But have one thing going. The Lord has granted me great health and sort of good conditioning.
Rich,

I'm a few years behind you but I also have been blessed by my Lord with great health and pretty good conditioning. I work out in the gym 3 days a week and I'm sure that helps but it can only carry you so far...

LDH

p.s. I just noticed that this is my 777th post and the significance of the number 777 can only be ignored if you're not a Christian. It was pleasantly surprised at to say the least....

I was a guide for a couple of years on a ranch here in Texas and you cannot believe the times that a client has shot a box of shells and never even got close. I can only imagine what its like hunting the high country for the outfitters.

In 1996 in Hamilton, Colorado, I witnessed a guy from Wisconsin "Shorty" fired 52 rounds at a bull elk, wounding him several times. He ran his rifle (300 WM) dry and two different guides guns dry totaling up to 52 rounds. My guide ended up shooting that poor bull 3 times in the head with a 25-06 before putting him out of his misery.

Going to be attending Rob's shooting school next year before my mule deer hunt with him as well. Wanted to this year, but need some more time behind my new rifle before maximizing his teachings.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts