Longest Sniper Kill "Update"

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by scsims, Jan 17, 2013.

1. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

2. joseph floerke

joseph floerke Well-Known Member

yep thats right one heck of a shot.

3. dickhedges

dickhedges Member

Accually that will be updated soon, a US Soldier from the 82nd Airborne Division broke that record one hot day in July 2012. In Ghazni province Afghanistan with a Barrett M-107 50cal BMG. I was with him on the OP and ranged it for him with my LLDR at 2,864m it took 5 rounds before he was on target. It was a amazing to watch, cut the guy in-half.

4. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Both are amazing feats! Especially since the Army says the M107 is a 2.5 moa gun with a max effective range of 600 meters on a soft target and 1830 meters for a hard target. That and even at high altitude the bullet went susonic 2/3 the way to the target.
    Sorry brother but I've seen first hand (many times) what a .50 cal round will do to a person, even at 20 meters. It's messy but never seen anybody blown in half. Especially the susonic bullet you were witnessing.

5. dickhedges

dickhedges Member

Sorry if I gave the impression it blew a guy in half, I believe I said it cut him in half and buy that I don’t mean like in the movies were he got blown in half or cut in half by a sword. He was standing at a right angle to the gun target line and it impacted him in the mid-section cause his upper body to fall first then drag the lower body down.

But if you have seen it many times I’m sure you know better than me. You can say that it’s a 2plus MOA gun and show all the ballistics charts you want. But it taking 5 rounds to hit target, and the fact it is record means, it exceeds the standards of common sense and mathematical logic. Thank you I am not asking you to believe it, I am just telling you the facts of what happened.

6. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

I once hit a flying water turkey in the head from 200 yards shooting a .22 short cartridge!

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN!!:D

Personally, as for as that Tango was concerned....I'd have rather dropped an HE round on 'em from a 105MM!!

7. joseph floerke

joseph floerke Well-Known Member

Amen.

8. dickhedges

dickhedges Member

No 120mm APMI rounds took care of his friends with 82mm MTR.

9. Bravo 4

10. Bravo 4

By the way,not saying it didn't happen. Would just like to know why, PM me the particulars. Ima tell the guys at the schoolhouse to be watching for this.

And almost forgot, Thanks for your service!

11. WILDER BILL

WILDER BILL New Member

Nope....

MK 84, GBU 31 or 10.....

Then maybe a 30 mike mike gun run or two..

WAYYYYYY better show than a silly little 105.... Although if thats all I have..... FIRE FOR EFFECT BABY!

WB

12. Sargesniper

Sargesniper Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who keeps up with these things told me an Am.Army sniper In Afghanistan just reclaimed the record for the USA. Thats all i know. ....SEMPER FI!

13. Sargesniper

Sargesniper Well-Known Member

First of all my congradulations for being a part of the record. Having been there, done that in 1966-67. I know what the 30-06 can do at 1000 yds. so i have no doubt as to what you are stating here. It is too bad we didn't have the Barret back then. Would have liked to give it a go! Thanks for serving your country. There are people around, myself included, that appreciate what you guys are giving up. Pay no attention to someone who is insensitive and less receptive to you because they are mostly for the part, armchair quarterbacks or wanna-be's. Carry on and good luck in your future endeavors. .....SEMPER FI!

14. B4Dan

B4Dan Well-Known Member

How about the 120's, shake N bake, HE, Willy P, HE.