sniper makes record-breaking kill shot in Iraq

middleofnowhere

Supposedly the longest sniper kill in history

A sniper with Canada's elite special forces in Iraq has shattered the world record for the longest confirmed kill shot in military history at a staggering distance of 3,540 metres.

The Canadian Armed Forces confirmed Thursday that a member of Joint Task Force 2 made the record-breaking shot, killing an Islamic State insurgent during an operation in Iraq within the last month.

"The Canadian Special Operations Command can confirm that a member of Joint Task Force 2 successfully hit a target at 3,540 metres," the forces said in a statement. "For operational security reasons and to preserve the safety of our personnel and our Coalition partners we will not discuss precise details on when and how this incident took place."

The elite sniper was using a McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle while firing from a high-rise during an operation that took place within the last month in Iraq. It took under 10 seconds to hit the target.

"The shot in question actually disrupted a Daesh [Islamic State] attack on Iraqi security forces," said a military source. "Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force and because it was so far way, the bad guys didn't have a clue what was happening."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...d-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what many many doubt, I feel like that shot is totally possible, but maybe not 100% as it may seem. I'm guessing that he may have had a sighter or two, then as many here would probably agree, he got extremely lucky. Kudos to the good guys, but now we need an American to get in there and knock that Canuck off the platform.

....Kudos to the good guys, but now we need an American to get in there and knock that Canuck off the platform.....

Sounds like the rifle was American, maybe we should get an assistgun)

Most articles I've seen the rifle is pretty well described, but the sighting system isn't. Some of the high tech systems we've seen on TV, may have made their way to combat.

The spotter may have had access to data other than his scope, and Kestrel.

None of which is to take anything away from the team, I'm just curious from a technical point of view to hear more details. It may be awhile before we're privy to those.

I'm guessing the ammo was raufoss as they have a reported penchant for same with their 50 bmg's. I do not have Ballistic info for raifoss so I used Hornady factory 750gr amax loads to play with my ballistic calculator. From a 1000yd zero the shooter would need roughly a 203 moa correction to make that shot. Not calling it total luck but I'm guessing some advanced aiming software/system was used.

Hello,

Harperc---We (The USA) would get "part" assist lol, since the complete rifle was/is not made in USA..the chassis is from Cadex.

JTF2 has some of the top, top of the line equipment :)

MallardAddict--I would wager EVERYTHING I have and say it was NOT raufoss ammo..that **** has the BC and flight characteristics of a brick. **** the Military does not even train with it past 1500m because for it to "detonate" it has to impact target at supersonic speed. General Dynamic makes some "exotic" projectiles and ammunition for the Mil guys that is FANTASTIC at transitioning from super to sub sonic...Also JTF2 is known to utilize Amax projectiles but loaded to pressures the USA Commands are not allowed to utilize.

THEIS

One of the tricks used by snipers is to fire at a wall or some object that is next to or just behind the target but away from the target and have the spotter zero you onto that spot . The target thinks it's inaccurate fire and ignores it . Then once you are zeroed the next time the target pops out you nail him if the wind has not changed radically . Good for those pesky ISIS guys that jump out from behind street corners all the time .
I don't know how they would even see the fall of shot at that extended range on soft ground . Maybe a 50 cal hit would show up on rocks .
Incredible stuff .

The BBC article said there was a video made of the shot, but I think the video has not been released yet. Our NATO allies are doing a good job.

Just so I'm not speaking out of turn here, a little background- Throughout my military career (my uniform says US Army) I have been a Sniper, Sniper Team Leader, Sniper Section Leader and Sniper Employment Officer.
Not trying to step on anybody's toes, but I would like to tweak a few things:

Theis,
They may have been using Raufuss rounds as those are our most desired rounds here in the US. If the Canadians are falling in under us, that is what we have given them in the past. All our .50 BMG ammo projectiles are bricks, but these seem to be the most accurate and consistent. Even at sea level we shoot them to a mile plus and have detonation on hard targets. Just my experiences.

Bullet Bumper,
I know of no Military Sniper that trains to use sighter rounds. There may be someone out there doing, I've just never met them. We train for first round hits but ready for a fast follow up re-engagement. A caveat to that is at Sniper School several years back we were trained to fire a first round and then immediately re-engage with second when firing the Barrett at extended ranges. This is because it is so inaccurate. Then you may have to displace because the signature/report is so great. The only reason I would fire a sighter in combat is if I were in a secure area and not worried about giving my position away. I have used one before but while hunting at ELR and it was effective.
Again, just my experience.

Hello,

No toes being stepped on from my side brother....
We all have different and vast experiences :)

When we ran members from JTF2 through the KASOTC warrior competition in 2016 when they came in 3rd place I got to spend a couple weeks with them afterwards. We ran them through the BMG portion of Jordanian Sniper School in which they were not using raufoss..and said they typically do not use it. For the 3000m distances of the course they were running an 850gr projectile that is basically an undersized tungsten projectile with brass jacket.

In regards to the validity of the shot and the video...
Mr. Vance--Chief of Canadian Defense Forces issued his statement with the video (video is not public due to nature of its' recordings) to our allies fighting in Iraq.
"Does this look credible?" Vance said. "It happened. I think that we were able to show that pretty easily. It was a helluva shot."

THEIS

Just so I'm not speaking out of turn here, a little background- Throughout my military career (my uniform says US Army) I have been a Sniper, Sniper Team Leader, Sniper Section Leader and Sniper Employment Officer.
Not trying to step on anybody's toes, but I would like to tweak a few things:

Theis,
They may have been using Raufuss rounds as those are our most desired rounds here in the US. If the Canadians are falling in under us, that is what we have given them in the past. All our .50 BMG ammo projectiles are bricks, but these seem to be the most accurate and consistent. Even at sea level we shoot them to a mile plus and have detonation on hard targets. Just my experiences.

Bullet Bumper,
I know of no Military Sniper that trains to use sighter rounds. There may be someone out there doing, I've just never met them. We train for first round hits but ready for a fast follow up re-engagement. A caveat to that is at Sniper School several years back we were trained to fire a first round and then immediately re-engage with second when firing the Barrett at extended ranges. This is because it is so inaccurate. Then you may have to displace because the signature/report is so great. The only reason I would fire a sighter in combat is if I were in a secure area and not worried about giving my position away. I have used one before but while hunting at ELR and it was effective.
Again, just my experience.
They don't train to do it but it is done in some circumstances . First round hit is nice but it does not always happen . Shooting from secure positions sighters do happen.

I know of no Military Sniper that trains to use sighter rounds. There may be someone out there doing, I've just never met them. We train for first round hits but ready for a fast follow up re-engagement. A...

I had this very conversation the other day.

Civilian shooters can have sighters, "walk in" to the target.

Mil/Def first shot. All the "practice" is based on that first shot. Civilians can have unlimited shots so a sighter/fouler that is a different POI is not an issue.

Mil/Def needs to know the POI for the "cold bore" even better than a hunter. Deer don't shoot back of you 500yard shot misses. He may flinch but hold.

Bravo,

That makes sense as I mentioned earlier because it's already a well known fact that JTF2 utilizes A max projectiles as pressure that makes our Crane special weapons division, JSOC and SOCOM "scientist" and powers to be have nightmares about weapon issues due to that pressure lol.

You Army guys always get short end of the stick...pun intended.

OT...you spend any time with 20th Group?

THEIS

. From a 1000yd zero the shooter would need roughly a 203 moa correction to make that shot. Not calling it total luck but I'm guessing some advanced aiming software/system was used.

Article says the sniper fired from a "high-rise". He may have been a 1000 ft. or more above the target which might dramatically affect the holdover required. Would be interesting to know all the elevation parameters involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.