Longest shot +1500 yard hunting?

I can only speak of my contacts with Idaho Fish & Game. Their take as far as I can tell is that, if it falls within the pervue of Idaho Law they are good with it (some even interested in it for themselves). The big issue is recovery of animals and proper follow up to potentialy hit animals. They state that this is an issue with all forms of big game hunting but bow hunters take the majority of the heat for this.
Interestingly enough the largest number of animals that F&G/Law Enforcement are called to put down because of a wounded status are from poorly placed rifle shots about an equil split of gut shot vs head shots apparently from closer ranges base on wound evalustion.
I still believe that we as a group need to take only extremely high % shots these can be limited by wind , shooting platform, distance etc. I also believe that this will be different for each shooter and will change with experience, technology etc. I know that under a windless condition or special circumstances that I would take a really long shot with every confidence that it would be a perfect hit, but I also have the ability to walk away from the shot if I don't feel 100% about it and I would. I am pretty sure that you will see a big game shot 1600-2000 yards coming from me at some point in the future but matching the right conditions and opportunity together just hasn't happened. I am also not looking for a certain distance, I setup where I beleive the shooting is going to be 500-1500 yards and hope for the best conditions possible. If the conditions are good then shooting into the teens (1300-1500 yards) is very doable as you have seen in the Send It volumes. At this distance I have walked away from more shots than I have taken on big game but I think that is the disipline that is require for the long range hunter.

there are things to consider other than the targeted animal broz. i can tell you from personal experience things can go wrong very quickly.
i dont care what rangefinder youve got thats only one item for one purpose.
as you well know after the initial sighters its the animal thats being concentrated on.
no more consideration is given to any items you might have used to determine
the shot.
yet conditions including wind are constantly changing.
animals can walk into dark timber and be hidden for long periods. even 1 large tree can cause those type problems.
during that time changes can take place. even a slight increase or decrease in wind will amount to a considerable difference at extreme distance.
you just cant practice or prepare enough for every situation.
you wont know for sure untill you send the next one exactly where its going.
ive wittnessed a hit on an unintended animal as a result of this type thing
at about 1600 yds.
some guys can just move on seemingly unafected by those type things.
but it should be very bothersome to all of us.
all i can say is keep distance within reason and thats far less likely to happen.
your argument about it happening at close distances is very true.
but thats their problem it need not be ours also.
were a target even by many among us who dissagree with what we do.
even talking about this stuff on these sites only adds fuell to that fire.

I think the biggest limiting factor we have to deal with is bullet performance at the extended ranges. I would rather shoot an elk with a 243 at 500 yards than a 338 smk at 2000. Only because I know for a fact the 243 bullet will expand and upset the vitals.

So in trying to achieve a clean kill at 1500+ you would need to step up to a considerably larger cartridge than most of us currently use. Some of Kirby's cartriges would be a very good start. Bullets of .375 dia. and larger would also be a big+, kind of the same way we talk about using a 338 for more forgiveness in 1000 yard elk hunting, we would look for the larger bore bullets the further we go.

Hitting the intended target at 1500+ under the right conditions is not that difficult when your experienced and know your equipment and you come prepared for that opportunity. Those who have shot targets at those ranges understand, and also understand Ideal conditions for that type of range. Having a cartridge with enough velocity to expand your bullet is a considerable hurdle to consider before sending bullets at game at ELR.

As far as Daryl's 2900 yard elk. My guess is he would be the first to tell any of us that it is something that should NOT be tried. After all it happened once quite some time ago and was never repeated as far as I know. That in and of itself says something about the practicality of such an attempt.

Yobuck, I am fully aware of changing conditions and variables adding up. If you re-read my previous posts on this thread I think you will find where I mentioned "Stable conditions". In the last year I can count on one hand the number of weeks that went by without me take a few shots past 1500 yards. A follow up is usually included in that exercise. Many people that shoot with me will remark at how quickly I will get back on target and send shot 2 or 3. I have honed this skill, just incase I need it. Things differ for each shooter too. On huge thing is availability to practice. Stop me on any givin day and you will likely find a long range rig in the back seat of my truck. No matter what direction I drive from my home I have targets in every hillside. For that matter I can shoot past a mile from my yard. I have shot to past a mile from my bedroom floor out the slider. I believe to develop these skills takes a commitment , that commitment means a lot of rounds down the tube in every condition you can muster. This is also why a year ago I attended Shawns advanced class. Now why would a guy that is already shooting past 1500 yards consistantly, take a long range course? All I can say is it was worth it, and Shawn can tell you what we were doing the last few days as far as one round hits past 1500 yards. ELR has become my thing the past few years, it is my main form of recreation. This is not somethng I do when the buddies get together for an occational hunt, a day never goes by that it does not cross my mind.

Now, why did I post all this? I guess to show my level of commitment. And also to support why I feel one mans limitations should not apply to all, restrict others capabilities or cloud their heads with negative "it can't be done" statements. Simply because they said so on their home computer, or have attempted it before and failed?? Spend 4 days every day all day shooting in the mountains past 1000 yards. I have done this more than once. I am betting at the end of the 4th day and with a couple hundred empties to carry home, you just might start to realise that condition indicators are out there if you know where to look. And also that with good equipment and a good skill set a mile shot with stable indicators and the right conditions is very doable.

Jeff

I think the biggest limiting factor we have to deal with is bullet performance at the extended ranges. I would rather shoot an elk with a 243 at 500 yards than a 338 smk at 2000. Only because I know for a fact the 243 bullet will expand and upset the vitals.

So in trying to achieve a clean kill at 1500+ you would need to step up to a considerably larger cartridge than most of us currently use. Some of Kirby's cartriges would be a very good start. Bullets of .375 dia. and larger would also be a big+, kind of the same way we talk about using a 338 for more forgiveness in 1000 yard elk hunting, we would look for the larger bore bullets the further we go.

Hitting the intended target at 1500+ under the right conditions is not that difficult when your experienced and know your equipment and you come prepared for that opportunity. Those who have shot targets at those ranges understand, and also understand Ideal conditions for that type of range. Having a cartridge with enough velocity to expand your bullet is a considerable hurdle to consider before sending bullets at game at ELR.

As far as Daryl's 2900 yard elk. My guess is he would be the first to tell any of us that it is something that should NOT be tried. After all it happened once quite some time ago and was never repeated as far as I know. That in and of itself says something about the practicality of such an attempt.

+1

As long as the equipment is capable of placing the bullet within the vital area of the animal, at whatever range, and the bullet impacts with enough velocity to expand properly, the only other part of the equation is the shooter. There will always be riflemen who make themselves capable of matching the limitations of the gear.

If the rifleman is capable of such shooting, and the gear is capable, then I don't seen a problem with it.

I rarely entertain getting involved in a discussion such as this on any forum, however I see both points of view. I agree with Augustus in the sense that I realize a 1500+ yard shot is WAY past MY current ability. For that reason, I consider myself a LRH with realized limitations. Meaning if I can get closer to harness the intended target cleanly, I will most certainly do so instead of setting a goal of shooting further.

The issue that must be considered by all of us as hunters is how much of a chance are we taking when shooting any distance at a game animal. We are definately under watch by others who believe hunting should be a banned sport. And as repeated earlier, I do not wish to be the hunter to add fuel to the fire by crippling an animal at a mile, when a much closer shot could have been made. I know there are hunters on this forum that are more than capable of making the 2k+ shot. But my concern is the hunter who reads these reports by legitimate 2 or 3k shooters, goes out and spends thousands on a rig capable of this shot, and believes there is no need to practice because the weapon was made for it and does all the work. I have had the unfortunate experience of hunting with people who had a 2k yard rifle, but had no business taking the shot due to lack of experience with the weapon. It is unfortunate but some inexperienced hunters only consider the ability of the equipment rather than their ability operating the equipment. This is what I think we all have an issue with, and we must push the point to others that this is a very practiced skill that can only be exercised after years of shooting thousands of rounds.

I apologize if I insulted anyone during this discussion, as it was not my intention, but as someone once said " a man must know his limitations," whether they be 100 yards or 3000. Anyone who is capable of making shots such as this has my admiration, and I have only envy for their ability/commitment.

Either way we as hunters must support each other in the sport we all care so much about. In a discussion such as this we must "preach as we practice." Best of luck to all and keep your powder dry.

Erik

I agree with augustas,My limitations are 400 yds,Even then i have to think about it.Hope he dosen't step forward as i pull the trigger,producing a gut shot.True hunters limit thier range where a clean kill can be made,WE have so many waiting for a foot hold to ban hunting,Even in Canada,So all these long range unethical shots should be camp fire discussions and not forum talk:cool:

I know of one guy locally that would take elk in the 1800+ range, he used a Cheytac based cartridge and shot sighters before dropping one.

I think it's good to discuss ELR hunting, look how far long range hunting has come now that people aren't scared out of their wits to talk about it and learn from those who do it. There are guys out their capable of ELR hunting and there are those who have interest in it so why not share and discuss it so people aren't reinventing the wheel every time.
I am in no way shape or form able to take game past about 1200 yards but I'm consistently shooting 1400+ yards at rock bandits or targets to bring my gear and skill level up, an important part of the process it talking things over with guys like Broz and getting feed back on gear and methods, open discussion make this happen IMO and leads to a stronger hunting community rather than sulking in the dark like we're afraid!

Moosemeat it is nice to see that you have set your limitations of distance but at the same time while reading your post I feel that with your last comment made about long range hunting being unethical and should be campfire talk you might be a member of the wrong type of forum if you feel so strongly about that. A 400 yard shot to me and others here with our capabilities due to equipment and extreme practice a 400 yard shot is about as guaranteed of a hit and meat in the freezers as Tiger Woods sinking a 6 inch putt for birdie. So if by your statement you mean I am unethical and should keep my mouth shut about killing game at long range because I shoot Beyond the distance of most well I just think that is an immature statement.

Now if I misunderstood your comment I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect to you or any other person on this forum but I will never tell people to keep their success to camp fire talk only. I love this sport and I spend countless hours in the field practicing. I have such a passion for longrange shooting and I love sharing with friends and people on this forum.

I do know a guy that bought long range gear and thought it ment he could shoot 1000 plus because of that. He could not hit the broad side of the barn but thought he was all that. People like that give this sport a bad name. I do not assossiate my self with him any more cause of his unethicle choices and actions. So I do agree with a lot of the talk on this thread about ethics.

WE have so many waiting for a foot hold to ban hunting,Even in Canada,So all these long range unethical shots should be camp fire discussions and not forum talk:cool:

They already have more than a foot hold, and it was gained by this kind of appeasement.

Great discussion although I d thought there would be more discussion about rifles, caliber, bullets etc and also more reports of over 1500 yds. Extreme shots appear to be rare on animals but ability clearly is not on metal. Probably should have said 1200 yds and specified listing of rifle, caliber, scope, bullet. Important points have been made by many. In principal, the range one can achieve is clearly related to ones experience, lots of practice, the right equipment, and great success on metal target way beyond the distance tried for a cold bore hunting shot. I ve practiced out to 2400 yds with a Kirby 375 with reasonable success and I ve been tempted by deer and turkeys walking among metal plates at one mile but never and would not take the shot (they barely raised a head and carried on feeding as the metal plates were hit). Clearly equipment is much better and with practice ones cold bore first shot improves but it's up to the individual to either with confidence take the shot or pass on it. The standard of doing the right thing is shown by the posts and has been emphasized by others. The starting out person should not think that the right equipment means long range ability. Years of practice and many rounds are essential and by then one should know what ones limit is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts