1500 yard groups?

nmbarta

What do you expect of you and your rifle at 1500 yards? I'm not sure if my expectations are too high or if I still have some work to do.

Thanks

I guess I would be hoping for better than the last time. Since this is a hunting site I assume you are practicing a hunting shot. Then your expectation should be min 10" cold bore every time. Less than this the shot should not be taken on an animal.

If you are just testing yourself and equipment. My self personally, I don't think I can shoot better than 1/2 moa with my equipment and my ability. Shooting rocks or targets, walking in a shot and seeing if I can repeat it is simply information gathering. And a lot of fun.

Steve

I guess I would be hoping for better than the last time. Since this is a hunting site I assume you are practicing a hunting shot. Then your expectation should be min 10" cold bore every time. Less than this the shot should not be taken on an animal.

If you are just testing yourself and equipment. My self personally, I don't think I can shoot better than 1/2 moa with my equipment and my ability. Shooting rocks or targets, walking in a shot and seeing if I can repeat it is simply information gathering. And a lot of fun.

Steve

Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve.
I lose my .5 MOA ability after 900 yards. But I stay at 800 or less for hunting just to make sure I'm in a verifiable kill zone when the shot goes down range.

I guess I would be hoping for better than the last time.
Steve

Kinda the way I feel. I keep practicing until I am consistent. My first attempt with my 6.5-284 Norma was 13". I was pleased with this and knew it was something I could work with and improve on. I don't intend to shoot at deer until I can keep it at 1/2 MOA. If I never make it then I'll fall back to a range that I am consistently 1/2 MOA. JohnnyK.

I just wanted to see what you guys get for groups at 1500. I can shoot 1/2 moa at 500 just fine. (I would assume that most posting here can do that) I was just curious how much your groups open at 1500. I would assume that if you can shoot 1/2 moa at 1500, you can shoot considerably better at 500, but that is an assumption, and is a good part of why I'm asking the question. I can't shoot 1/2 moa at 1500.

I don't hunt at or near 1500 and don't intend to. I have zero problem with those that can and choose to do so. I really just want some basic info from people that shoot at these ranges. From what I can tell, there aren't a whole lot of us. If I posted this question on the wrong site, my apologies.

Thanks again.

With the equipment that I use, I don't think I can shoot better than 1/2moa at any range. I find it easier to aim at longer ranges. Easier to relax on the aim. So for me, if the rifle has the poop, I seem to be able to keep the short range moa out to long range. That does not always hold true for 100y groups. Some 100y groups open up farther out, and some get better farther out. I only shoot 100y now for loading to velocity.

Steve

Well if I recall properly, it's been what, 7 or 8 years since this particular section started
on this site? Originally it was intended for those (few) who shoot at extreme distances.
Although there are now many who shoot at those distances, and some apparently very
successfully, I personaly don't recall reading about any animals being killed.
As a rule with hunters, good news travels very quickly, whereas bad news does not.
Interpet that however you choose. lol
If we were really serious about first round cold bore hits while hunting, would we not
all carry one round, and when that was gone, it's game over and we just go home?

I just wanted to see what you guys get for groups at 1500. ... Thanks again.

Comparing results on target at those kinds of distances, among even the most serious shooters, is extremely difficult. In my experience, "the world beyond 800 yards" is a mysterious place. Elements that influence bullet travel have exponential affects on target results as the distance to target increases and, IMO, it's at about 800 yards where the smallest influence within the early stages of bullet flight become dramatically apparent.
Air temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction(*), coriolis effect, decaying velocity, elevation, angle of the shot, bullet weight and caliber, and a variety of other rules of physics complicate matters.
IMO, your curiosity is welcome. The practicality of providing a meaningful and sensible answer may be more of a stretch than originally imagined.

(*) wind eddies will destroy the wind reading calculations of even the best long distance shooter.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=wind+eddies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I just wanted to see what you guys get for groups at 1500. I can shoot 1/2 moa at 500 just fine. (I would assume that most posting here can do that) I was just curious how much your groups open at 1500. I would assume that if you can shoot 1/2 moa at 1500, you can shoot considerably better at 500, but that is an assumption, and is a good part of why I'm asking the question. I can't shoot 1/2 moa at 1500.

I don't hunt at or near 1500 and don't intend to. I have zero problem with those that can and choose to do so. I really just want some basic info from people that shoot at these ranges. From what I can tell, there aren't a whole lot of us. If I posted this question on the wrong site, my apologies.

Thanks again.

My groups at 1500yds vary somewhat depending on atmospheric conditions, mostly wind and mirage. I have to make myself slow down, if not I'll rush the shot/group. I usually shoot at least one group at this range to verify what the wind is doing, subsequent groups are me trying to pick through the mirage. These groups have ranged from way beyond MOA (3ft!) to sub 1/2 MOA. The latter being a cause for strutting and crowing!!
On that first group I look at all the info I have and make a best guess on the wind. Sometimes I'm close, sometimes not. Depends on the velocity and direction of the wind and whether or not it's consistent. A steady wind, IMO, doesn't affect my group size as much as a intermittent or variable wind. Just like the competition guys, I try to shoot when the conditions look the same downrange. At these distances the wind can sometimes toss a group to and fro. All you can do is try, try again.
I just got in to extreme (beyond 1K) ranges within the last two years. Previously, I shot to 700yds for a year or so and that's since moving back to NC. Before that, I lived in GA for a couple years and had a 500yd range at my back door. I shot a lot at this yardage, learned a lot and became very confident in my equipment and abilities.
If I were to give a new guy advise on shooting at 1500yds, it would probably be; know your equipment, your load and "crawl before you walk". Start out at 300, get consistent and confident, then move to 500, 1000 and then beyond. JohnnyK.

Thank you for the replies.
I do understand that there are a lot of things to consider when shooting at 1500 (or 800 for that matter) 586 is as far as I've attempted at game and that really doesn't feel much different than shooting at 300. Wind does come into play, but under 700 and under 10 mph I don't have problems hitting what I'm aiming at. From 800-1200 I'm predicable and in most cases feel I would make a good shot shot on an animal, but "most" cases doesn't work for me when I'm shooting at game, and to be honest....I'ts not like it's hard to get 500 yards from the animals I'm hunting so I don't need to risk it.

Just curious if any of you bother with shooting groups at 1500 and if so, what you're seeing on paper. Your input is meaningful and sensible in the sense that it would indicate wether my results are similar to those attempting to do the same thing. We all have the same variables to deal with that do show up on paper.

Thanks again

Just curious if any of you bother with shooting groups at 1500 and if so, what you're seeing on paper. Your input is meaningful and sensible in the sense that it would indicate wether my results are similar to those attempting to do the same thing. We all have the same variables to deal with that do show up on paper.
Thanks again

All the time. I practice for the cold bore hit and usually a follow up. I strive for a hit inside 1/2 moa from point of aim and the follow up 1/2 moa from round one. So, some might call that 1/2 moa or some might call it 1 moa as I could be either side of aim point on the first one. I practice in all reasonable conditions, and choose my distance to match those conditions. If I am going past 1 mile of course I want good conditions. Holding 1/2 moa at a mile and even quite a ways beyond is very doable. And it really helps when we come back in to where most shots are taken. I have spent years of practice, tons of time, and lots of hard earned money to satisfy my quest for those first round hits. I like to think I am responsible about it in a hunting scenario, and waited years before the time came when we got as close as we could, the conditions were right, and this shot was justified in my mind. I may never have the need to do it again. But if I do I will be ready if conditions allow. Click HERE to read the story and watch the shot.

Jeff

I use an F-Class standard of 1 MOA 10 ring as an acceptable target for larger game animal practice, but try to hold and shoot for the X ring 1/2 MOA. I stay fairly consistent at 1/2 MOA in the 1,000 or so range, as we practice on marmot and fat P-dog gongs at that range. I have made a 1,031 yd P-dog kill with a 25-06 and 85 BT @ 3,600 fps. The 22-250 AI's with 75's make these 1,000 yd hits with regularity.

At 1,500 yards, I have routinely practiced on 12x18" torso gongs, and if conditions are good, and I am too, the groupings are about 8 to 10 inches our so. At this range, mirage and wind are big factors and require astute reading.

My 300 RUM's are setup for about 2,000 yards, but to date, I haven't shot past 1,500 yds. A few of us are planning a 1 mile shoot soon, so I will give feedback after that practice. Target size was agreed to be a 20" gong, as a couple of the shooters are not in the 1/2-3/4 moa prone yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.