long shot for me....

firstcoueswas80

a week or so ago, i went out with a buddy of mine Eddie, who pokes around here sometimes. him and i went out after coyotes. well, on the first stand, after callin for a while Eddie asks me what my Kimber 84m 22-250 does at 415 yards... i told him it hits where i aim. he relayed the message to me that there was a jack rabbit sitting under a tree at 415 yards. sweet! i get to stretch the kimbers legs! i laid the legs of the bipod out, got in position and acquired my target. i put the 400 yard line of my leupold 4.5-14x40 Varmint reticle scope right on him ( by the way, Eddie is filming the whole time) the first shot flys an inch above his head! jacked another round in, re-acquired the jack and aimed just a tad lower.... the first words out of his mouth were : "well hes not sitting there anymore!" i made the trip to go get him. the 50 NBT took out his heart and lungs. the best part about it was watching the video! you can see the vapor trail perfectly on both shots! its awesome! this is my 2nd longest confirmed kill... my longest shot with my Kimber!

400+ yds on a small animal is a great shot in anybodies book and to be lucky enough to catch it on film is a bonus.

Good shooting

firstcoueswas80,
Nice shot! Congratulations. It's Addictive isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good shooting. THose "long shots" can be defined by many aspects. The conditions at the time, the terrain, even the size of the critters. Sometimes in the bottoms we hunt, a 50yd shot is a long one, but your threading the needle through brush thick enough to choke a dozer.

I've never saw this vapor trail, heard alot about it, best I can understand the shooter never see's it, can anyone explain exactly what it is and why it occurs?
JS

I've seen it on hunting videos as the film is slowed down. I swear I have seen it looking through a spotting scope while watching for hits as a fried shoots but its hard to say. I guess its just the bullet causing displacement of the air.

James, I have seen it on video of my own shooting. If you shoot at a target that is at least 400 yards away it's esier to see on film. Set the camera about a foot and a half above and behind your head when in shooting position. Seems to me it shows up best on humid days, it has somthing to do with the air molicules being compressed and disrupted as the bullet passes through the air. If you watch close you can see it when playing at regular speed. I think the best I have was filmed shooting a 308 in August last year. You can follow the arc of the bullet right into the steel.

If you want to see the trail, or wash as me and my freinds call it, get behind the gun with your glasses, and make sure you have ear protection. If you blink you may miss it. But when you get used to it ,you see every shot, and the the splash, when the bullet hits home.You will also be able to see it as the shooter,but you must be able to stay right on the target and have a good scope? You can see the fur part when you make contact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

James,

It seems that the conditions of your locale determines whether it is a vapor trial, much like a short duration con trail that aircraft make.

What I've seen in dry ol' Idaho is a mirage trail that really takes some getting used to. It is easily seen in the spotting scope and was so weird that at first I couldn't even spot the shot. It appear as though some one very quickly passed a magnet across the TV screen. Once I caught on I could call the shot the before the bullet impacted. Something that takes way less than a second goes into a really slow motion. Its just weird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.