Long Range steel target ?

steeltraps

I have been given some 1/4 inch A36 steel for free. Its is 24x36 inchs per peice i have 4 of these! My question is a what distance will 338 lapua at 2850 fps with a 300 gr bullet NOT go threw it! I can shoot 600-1800 yards in 1 spot and 1800-3000 yards at rocks. What is a good distance for these targets? I know its thin steel but will 1200 yards be to close? At 1200 yards will it go threw it ? My thoughts were targets at 1200, 1500, 1800, and 2000 yards since i have 4 of them? Whay do you guy think should be the minumum yardage for A36 1/4 inch steel? I also will shoot 284 shehane at it?gun)

You need to be at least 1200+ yards. I shoot a 338 Norma going 2733 and at 900 yards it puts a nasty dent in 3/4" stuff. It would defiantly punch through 1/4" steel at under a 100 yards

WOW! Thanks for your input. I was thinking 1200 yards as a starting point. Basicly i can move around in feild and get any yardage i want. So what kind of dents at 1200 should i expect? Will 300 gr otms go right threw it at 1200 yards? Would 1500 yards be a better minium?

At 900 my Sierras punch half way through or more on the 3/4. It wouldn't surprise me to see it punch through at 1200 but I bet it's more like a really nasty dent that looks like an egg pushing out the back. If it was me I would take the four free plates and weld two together making two 1/2" Free plates. You defiantly are not going through 1/2" steel. Let me know if you decide to let her rip on one of those 1/4" plates I'd like to see the results.

Usually A36 is 100X material so it's ductile (will elongate easily). I second welding 2 together.

Just took a big load of A36 (about 50,000 pounds) to the scrap yard friday.

I dont have a welder, but do have large torch. I could put careage bolt in it. 3 or 4 then i could tighten them down with impact wrench! I quess i could make 4 pieces into 2 pieces. Then i could up them at 1320 and 1760 yards and shoot them. What if i put a single piece at 1500 yards would it go threw? Or if i put it at 1 mile? The main thing i want is for the steel to ring good and NOT go threw so i cant see the impact?

No I'm pretty positive at 1500 + yards it will not go through 1/4" steel. However I've been wrong before. Bolting the pieces together should work I just prefer welding. I think your safe on the thin stuff after 1400 yards. But please report back any results I'm curious

We have rain coming into north alabama tomorrow. I will bolt 2 pieces to gether. Then i will take the other to pieces to shoot at. I will start at 1400 yard and work back. It will be wednesday afternoon before i can shoot again. I will report back then on this thread for results. I will post the results for A36 1/4 inch steel starting at 1400 and working back to 1800 yards, thursday nite around this same time! Thanks for all the imput. I am curious my selfs what the results will be with 300 gr otms at 2850 fps?

I bet your going to be disappointed with the A36 plate, I'm a fabricator by trade. A36 is just your everday material. However the more pieces you can lament the better off you will be. You will still have some penatation or some very nasty dents. You get the good ring from the hardness of the steel, also the bigger the piece the better the ring. If you could score some AR 500 plate you would be very happy. I no from experience its a little pricey, but buy once shoot forever. Good luck! gun)

I dont mind paying money for good ar-500 steel, the last i bought was a 30 inch circle. The shipping is what kills me to have to pay for! Where i live is very rural, i would have to drive 40 miles just to get a good piece of ar-500 steel. These were free, so i will only be out a little propane and oxygen for the torch, and 4 or 5 bucks for the grade a -bolts! I just want to find out what distance it WANT go threw the steel and if it will " RING" good when i hit it? If i puts dents in it at 1400 plus yards and doesnt go threw i will be happy since its free! Thanks for your input!

WOW! sound like this free steel i got ant going to be good for much! I guess i could start at 1500 yards. Our do you think i should start at 1700 yards? Maybe the 24x36 A36 1/4 in woulg be good to shoot at 1 mile plus?

I will give the free steel a try at 1400 plus this weekend . My new 338 lapua imp. is shooting great out to 600 yards= under 1/2 moa . Cant wait till saturday to test out my new rifle at some long ranges!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.