Long range shooting simulator game

mildots

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm working on a pc and app game called SimSniper.

I've played a lot of video game shooters but they don't emulate a lot physics. So I'm building a game where you have bullet drop and wind to compensate for.

A question I have is
- is a 9.8m/s bullet drop realistic enough to emulate a real bullet?
I noticed that drop tables don't always follow that

Also if you want to test it out you can play it here (requires a unity 3D plugin)

Sim Sniper

The mil-dots don't really work yet I have to align em up to a 100 yards but I guess that depends on maximum magnification.

Some other features I wanted to implement are
- Trigger pull (so the user has to pull a trigger straight back to fire)
- Temperature based velocity of bullets
- Slight windage (earth spin) effects on long range shots

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm working on a pc and app game called SimSniper.

I've played a lot of video game shooters but they don't emulate a lot physics. So I'm building a game where you have bullet drop and wind to compensate for.

A question I have is
- is a 9.8m/s bullet drop realistic enough to emulate a real bullet?
I noticed that drop tables don't always follow that

Also if you want to test it out you can play it here (requires a unity 3D plugin)

Sim Sniper

The mil-dots don't really work yet I have to align em up to a 100 yards but I guess that depends on maximum magnification.

Some other features I wanted to implement are
- Trigger pull (so the user has to pull a trigger straight back to fire)
- Temperature based velocity of bullets
- Slight windage (earth spin) effects on long range shots

I would recommend some reading material for you. But before I do, their are a lot of things to consider when you look at ballistics. The number of variables are incredible. Coriolis Effect, Gyroscopic Spin Drift, BC, Atmospheric Effects like Density Altitude, Direction of Fire (North, East, South, West), Lattitude Location, Muzzle Velocity, Angular Trajectory, Time of Flight, Weapons Performance Capability, Epicyclic Swerve, and thats just to name some.

I would consider reading these two books. https://store.appliedballisticsllc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0005
Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting 2nd Edition

I know its a lot of reading, but these two books will help you decide what you do and don't want to implement. It will also give you an idea of the ballistic characteristics of different rounds.

Here is an article that will help you understanding wind influence written by Nick Vitalbo as well http://www.nvisti.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/NVDOC1403-Wind.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.