Long range rimfire caliber for wma hunts

Why not use the 25 grain 17 wen. I have the gun and have shot quite a few coyotes with it. By the way it's up for sale. My wife bought me a Howa 204 Ruger with a 10 round mag. So I'm going to that. Pm me if you interested.

Coyotes are easy compared to hogs, especially big hogs, a head shot is realy the only shot with the 17., and because of the light weight bullets
shot placement has to be perfect and in the ear or eye.

The heaviest bullets in 22 caliber give up to much velocity and some of the energy that a 40 grain 22 mag has and down range the 17 cal bullets give up energy fast. It is a good 17 caliber and for varmints it should be better than the 17 HMR if only a little bit.

J E CUSTOM

12 ga with rifled slug barrel. With scope and the right slugs and your good from 150-175 yards, with tremendous killing power. A 12 ga slug punches a big hole!! I wouldn't mess with a rimfire if I could use a slug gun

17s, the bullet is just too thin and blows up. You can get penetration with the 22 mag at least. I have killed deer with a 17 and the bullet slipped between 2 ribs but blew up at no more than 3-4 inches.

Coyotes are easy compared to hogs, especially big hogs, a head shot is realy the only shot with the 17., and because of the light weight bullets
shot placement has to be perfect and in the ear or eye.

The heaviest bullets in 22 caliber give up to much velocity and some of the energy that a 40 grain 22 mag has and down range the 17 cal bullets give up energy fast. It is a good 17 caliber and for varmints it should be better than the 17 HMR if only a little bit.

J E CUSTOM

The 17 WSM is a good round to consider with it 25 grain bullets it has more foot pounds of energy than the 22 mag. They also offer a 20 grain bullet going 3000 fps. Quite a bit faster than the 17 HMR.

Last edited:
The 17 WSM is a good round to consider with it 25 grain bullets it has more foot pounds of energy than the 22 mag. They also offer a 20 grain bullet going 3000 fps. Quite a bit faster than the 17 HMR.
Energy will not do anything if it blows up and cannot penetrate. 25 grain 17 cals are not the ticket if you expect any penetration. I killed the one deer, managed to slip between two ribs and still only went 3-4 inches. The 17 cal 25 grain is only a small game bullet.

Energy will not do anything if it blows up and cannot penetrate. 25 grain 17 cals are not the ticket if you expect any penetration. I killed the one deer, managed to slip between two ribs and still only went 3-4 inches. The 17 cal 25 grain is only a small game bullet.
Guess it depends on the type of bullet you get from each manufacturer. I've had some just blow up, but I had other do deeper penetration. For example my wife shot a coyote and about 300 yards. And the bullet opened up the whole bottom of his rib cage. I'm not saying the the 22 mag is a bad choice. But I'd bet that 17 WSM shoots a whole lot tighter group. To me I want pin point accuracy. Then it up to me to do the rest. If that means canoeing the animal square in the head. That my bullet goes right where I want. For all intensive purposes the 22 mag would be a great choice as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.