Long range muzzleloader for a noob

Weston

I have researched this subject to the point of nearly gouging my eyes out over the last couple weeks. Ultimately I am wanting a solid muzzleloader to increase my hunting opportunity. I have two Remington Genesis muzzleloaders I've used in the past from stands. And frankly I'm not impressed at all and ready to drop some coin to get something that will give me better confidence.

I'm aware of ignition and powder system laws. I'm fairly confident that I want a BP gun and not a smokeless gun, but I think I am willing to utilize a 209 or Mag primer, knowing this will disqualify me from CO hunts.

I'm looking to drop around 1000 on a gun, and want the gun to be capable to shoot minute of deer vitals at 300. Obviously I know there will be load development involved.

I'm really trying to talk myself into the Remington UML, but I'm having a hard time with the lack of reviews at long ranges and the reports of shoddy barrels (although the majority of the reviews I've found are from 2014 right at initial release....perhaps the bbls are fixed?)

The other ones I'm considering are a knight mountaineer (although I would prefer a synthetic stock and not sure I want the ultra lite western)

I guess my question is two part, are there any happy Remington UML owners, or dissatisfied owners, are there other guns I should also be researching?

Thanks!

I have not had any experience with the Rem UML so this may not help but it can't hurt ether.

I have shot Muzzle loaders from 36 cal to 72 cal The best overall performance that I seen from all of them was consistently several things.

.45 caliber worked the best for longer shots.

Heavy hard cast bullets worked better than Sabots or Bullets with a plastic wad behind them. (The Sabot and the plastic gas seal worked very good at shorter distances, but accuracy deteriorated at the longer distances).

In line muzzle loaders produced the best accuracy for me using Shocky.s or Triple 7 powders and follow up shots were no problem because of the lack of fouling.

Good Aperture sights were the best if local laws did not allow a red dot or low power scope.

Also depending on the laws where you are The best possible black powder accuracy was/has been
with a black powder cartridge rifle. The cartridge has all the fun of a muzzle loader, but will extend your range from 3 or 400 yards to 800 + yards and are legal in most states if there design is before turn of the century. (1900).

The 45/120 is the best I have found of the 45/70 ,45/90, 45/110 I have owned and tried.

So there are lots of options for you to choose from and these are just my observations based on my experiences with black powder rifles. I personally don't use any smokeless powder in my black powder rifles because it defeats the purpose and fun of the smoke and can be dangerous if not used with caution in Black powder rifles.

I also prefer the wood or laminate stocks for there balance and weight. (Recoil can be heavy because of the heavy bullets used and the laminates will help with accuracy and recoil.

Here is a video that can show the potential of a good BP cartridge rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRaRCCZjdTM

Just something to think about.

J E CUSTOM

The RU had some barrel problems when it was "rushed to market". I know, I was given one to setup by/for its owner. Remington purchased the rifle back from him. He spent the extra for a BP Xpress and has been happy ever since.

I'm very familiar with the rifle (RU) and ignition system and do my best to keep up on a few owners. I know of three in my state that are getting outstanding accuracy at 300yds but, they're not using Remington's recommendations. They are shooting 3, T7M pellets and 300gr bullets. The same charge recommended for the UF Inc. rifles, which the RU uses the same ignition system. The heavier bullet stabilizes better at longer ranges from both these rifles.

It all depends on what you really want to do. The higher end rifles can shoot heavier charges with heavier bullets, thus giving you plenty of bullet energy at longer ranges. If you're recoil shy, then consider lighter loads/bullets/production rifles and you may have to shorten your maximum hunting shooting range. This is NOT to say that you can't use a production rifle with IT'S maximum charge and/or heavier bullets.
I know plenty of shooters, using 90grs of Swiss BP and 525gr bullets, that have harvested whitetail to 400yds. However, these shooters are well practiced.

Work with the RU may end up worth it. The new Cooper is rated for 200grs of BP or BP substitute (not BH209) and is a beautiful rifle. The Cooper's are running around $1,700 IIRC? However not many reports as yet.
Then there's the Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress rifles. Considerably more in price but, exceptionally accurate at long range....... and...... using saboted bullets. I own a BP Xpress myself and the rifle is more accurate than most people can shoot. Shooting 200 and 300yds with these rifles, using a QUALITY scope, is like a chip shot. However it takes an awful lot of practice.

They WILL shoot accurate at range using sabots:

First time sending a 3-shot group at 500yds. Target witnessed and signed.

Awesome, thanks for the information so far! I'm not recoil shy, I shoot quite a bit for work and shoot long range leisurely (338LM and 300WM) but I do guide and anticipate using the rifle as a loaner for clients who do not have one, which is certainly something to keep in mind. The Ultimate Firearms BP is the one I would really like, but it's out of my price range for a smoke pole.

I'll likely end up with the Remington, and hope it's what the more recent reviews (found some on dougs message board) make it out to be. Although some of these savage 10ML rebarreled to .45 and the ability to shoot BP or smokeless seem quite intriguing and not too far out of budget.

Awesome, thanks for the information so far! I'm not recoil shy, I shoot quite a bit for work and shoot long range leisurely (338LM and 300WM) but I do guide and anticipate using the rifle as a loaner for clients who do not have one, which is certainly something to keep in mind. The Ultimate Firearms BP is the one I would really like, but it's out of my price range for a smoke pole.

I'll likely end up with the Remington, and hope it's what the more recent reviews (found some on dougs message board) make it out to be. Although some of these savage 10ML rebarreled to .45 and the ability to shoot BP or smokeless seem quite intriguing and not too far out of budget.

LOL............ I have a very good friend that has shot and still shoots, about every rifle ever made. He builds rifles and holds I don't know how many records at Camp Perry. He'll tell you that shooting a full charge from a BP Xpress or the RU and a 300gr bullet, will make his 338 feel like a .22 rifle. I'll take his word for it, as 180grs of T7 and a 300gr bullet, will quickly get your attention.

This is just my couple cents on the RU. First, I'd love to have one that I could play with. Not certain I'd play with the Barnes they suggest, but would shoot the 300gr SST from an H5045LB. I'd also use pellets. The ignition system is completely designed around igniting pellets. Two of the three guys I know in the state use combo and are very happy. The other is fairly local and gets buy with the Barnes.

Good luck with what you decide.

I know you mentioned you're focused on BP, but I'd recommend smokeless for distances out to 300. If you've never shot one, you need to. More energy, less powder, cleaner, and can run sabotless. Buy a rem 700 ml, switch out the barrel and go kill. I run a smokeless encore and would only consider BH 209 if I shot a substitute. My hunting consists of shots less than 150 and often less than 80 yards. So my slow load shoots 2300 fps with a 300 gr bullet. It's a half to 3/4" gun and the deer really don't like it. Shooting 200grs of pyrodex/related is brutal, but it's your shoulder.

I know you mentioned you're focused on BP, but I'd recommend smokeless for distances out to 300. If you've never shot one, you need to. More energy, less powder, cleaner, and can run sabotless. Buy a rem 700 ml, switch out the barrel and go kill. I run a smokeless encore and would only consider BH 209 if I shot a substitute. My hunting consists of shots less than 150 and often less than 80 yards. So my slow load shoots 2300 fps with a 300 gr bullet. It's a half to 3/4" gun and the deer really don't like it. Shooting 200grs of pyrodex/related is brutal, but it's your shoulder.

Smokeless propellant isn't legal in MANY states during dedicated muzzleloader seasons. Which would mean you'd be building a muzzleloader capable of smokeless, yet still have to shoot BP, BPS or BH.

Smokeless propellant in a muzzleloader is also a dangerous practice, as evident by all the blown barrels in the last couple years. Some by very good muzzleloader shooters.

Physics would indicate that your slow load at 2,300fps with a 300gr bullet, would equal the same recoil as a 2,300fps and 300gr bullet from a RU.

Respectfully, a couple of your statements are incorrect. 1) smokeless is no more or less safe than pyrodex/bh/ or related. The education and experience is less, causing the problems. Smokeless barrels are proof tested to usually more than 100k psi. Many regular muzzleloaders are about 30k. 2) law of physics work great when you don't change the variables. Bp substitutes have a completely different burn than smokeless powder. They(smokeless) can have lower peak pressure and longer duration of burn which generates equal or more velocity. Think of it like crossbows and compound bows. Crossbows need more draw weight to generate the same fps as a compound bow. Why? Shorter power stroke. Same thing I'm talking about. Also, which one one is more violent to shoot.
With regards to powders, consider one is a propellant and the other is more of explosive agent.
I do agree other states don't allow smokeless during the traditional season. Any gun that can shoot smokeless can and will shoot any of the bp subs.
As an aside, I own 7 muzzleloaders. From Hawkens to inlines to smokeless. I also am a reloader for highly accurate long range rifles. Only bringing this up to say my education/experience is pretty solid.
Good luck, shoot straight, and God bless!

Respectfully, a couple of your statements are incorrect. 1) smokeless is no more or less safe than pyrodex/bh/ or related. The education and experience is less, causing the problems. Smokeless barrels are proof tested to usually more than 100k psi. Many regular muzzleloaders are about 30k. 2) law of physics work great when you don't change the variables.......
Good luck, shoot straight, and God bless!

Respectfully, yes smokeless is more dangerous. One single mistake can completely create an explosion of the barrel. Not just ringing it, as will happen with most modern in-line rifles. I agree, education and being completely and totally aware of what you're doing at ALL times is a must. Double charge or double load a smokeless and you have a potential pipe bomb. Double charge or double load with BP or BPS and you'll most likely end up with a ring in th
e barrel.
Even some of the best smokeless builders have had barrels completely explode. Those same barrels that IIRC, none are actually proof tested to 100k. Even the guys on Doug's have had problems and continuously try to educate shooters on pressures. IMO its far from a novice rifle/system and only those with many years of muzzleloading should attempt shooting smokeless.
Now if one wants to build a rifle capable of shooting smokeless and then shoot BP or BPS in it, then they're good rifles for just that. However, the states also know that some of the guys on Doug's are getting 4,000fps and its not going to fly during muzzleloader seasons. Heck, the guys on Doug's couldn't even get along and that group split.

Maybe you recognize this barrel and rifle........... To my knowledge, its still not known the exact cause. I think this is just one of 5 in the last year and a half.

Physics....... the Laws of Physics....... with each force, there's an equal and opposite force. Therefore, 2,300fps at the muzzle with a 300gr projectile, both rifles would have equal and opposite forces. Law of Physics

Last edited:
Although the idea of a smokeless,sabot less, 45 caliber muzzleloader really intrigues me, the reality is the majority of states I hunt won't allow it. That coupled with me primarily hunting archery, and only utilizing muzzleloaders for when it makes sense for particular seasons/draw odds. The reality is I know that I won't give up my center fires/ archery stuff and will likely build up a solid MZ load build a CTS turret and put the gun in the safe for the majority of the year, and shoot it a couple times before season to ensure its still on. I know that mentality is frowned upon, however it's reality and I'm not going to kid myself trying to master yet another hobby.

Physics....... the Laws of Physics....... with each force, there's an equal and opposite force. Therefore, 2,300fps at the muzzle with a 300gr projectile, both rifles would have equal and opposite forces. Law of Physics

Ok, so I literally prove that changing the variables (compound vs crossbow) changes the physics and you disagree. Riddle me this: my gun shots 43 gr of smokeless powder and you might and I mean might get close to that velocity with 120 of BH. What changed and how is it possible? Also, if you took a lit cigarette and touched a pound of black powder with it, you'd be missing a hand. Do the same thing to smokeless powder(most of them/few oddballs out there) and it would fizzle. Please explain why. Your physics say that it should have an equal reaction and the reality is that it doesn't. Not really sure why you're being contrary and misinformed.

With regards to a double charge, no gun is safe and both will either bulge or split. I will agree smokeless is more dangerous if you're using something unique like bullseye powder, but none of the recommeded savage powders are ANYTHING like it.

It is apparent to me that you don't own/like/ or use a sml. If I didn't reload for center for rifles, I'd be a bit scared too.

For the OP, 300 yards is really a bit much for most bp muzzleloaders. Even assuming you can get the accuracy, the drops are steep. The KE is really falling fast as well. Most guys at the gun club are thrilled to shoot 3-4" groups at 100. They always say it's shooting minute-of-deer. Hope you do far better.

Ok, so I literally prove that changing the variables (compound vs crossbow) changes the physics and you disagree. Riddle me this: my gun shots 43 gr of smokeless powder and you might and I mean might get close to that velocity with 120 of BH. What changed and how is it possible? Also, if you took a lit cigarette and touched a pound of black powder with it, you'd be missing a hand. Do the same thing to smokeless powder(most of them/few oddballs out there) and it would fizzle. Please explain why. Your physics say that it should have an equal reaction and the reality is that it doesn't. Not really sure why you're being contrary and misinformed.

With regards to a double charge, no gun is safe and both will either bulge or split. I will agree smokeless is more dangerous if you're using something unique like bullseye powder, but none of the recommeded savage powders are ANYTHING like it.

It is apparent to me that you don't own/like/ or use a sml. If I didn't reload for center for rifles, I'd be a bit scared too.

For the OP, 300 yards is really a bit much for most bp muzzleloaders. Even assuming you can get the accuracy, the drops are steep. The KE is really falling fast as well. Most guys at the gun club are thrilled to shoot 3-4" groups at 100. They always say it's shooting minute-of-deer. Hope you do far better.

Changing the variables, like comparing a lit cigarette and placing it to two different propellants, is exactly that. You changed the variables, not the force. However, the law of physics still apply with force and or velocity. If you take two different charges and they're both sending a projectile at 2,300fps at the muzzle and the projectiles weigh 300grs, the velocity and weight are identical, right? That means that there's an equal and opposite force that is also identical. Physics.
What may feel different is the perceived recoil. If you're shooting identical charges from a 6# rifle compared to a 10# rifle, the velocity (2,300fps) and bullet weight (300grs) are identical, so is force, equal and opposite. Which rifle will seem like it recoils harder? There is less weight in the 6# rifle to help dissipate the equal and opposite force, therefore recoil will be perceived as harder than that of the 10# rifle. Its why heavier recoiling rifles are heavier. Use the same IDENTICAL rifle, say the 10# rifle. In this case, lets use the RU or UF rifles. Either one. If you shoot 180grs of T7 with a velocity of 2,300fps using a 300gr bullet, it will have the same recoil when shooting a heavy charge of BH209 (its approximately 134grs V) at 2,300fps and the same bullet. Yes the burn rates are different, yet the velocity and projectile weight are the same, thus both propellants will still have equal and opposite forces. Its also why the guys are building smokeless muzzleloaders at 14# and adding muzzle brakes.

I'm not saying always, but most production muzzleloaders that are double loaded end up with a bulged or ringed barrel. They rarely explode like a muzzleloader shooting smokeless propellant. Smokeless propellant double loads can open up a barrel as shown in the photo. That's just one of the photos I have, where someone shooting smokeless propellant had a barrel rupture. All it takes is one screw up and the results can be catastrophic.

The RU or UF rifles are VERY capable rifles at 300yds and out to 400yds for whitetail and certainly capable of 300yds for elk, retaining approximately 1,450fps and 1,350fpe w/300gr bullets. That's near what many traditional shooters have at 75 - 100yds hunting elk with a round ball. Now I'm not recommending that ANYONE should be taking 300 or 400yd shots at whitetail, or elk for that matter. Most shooters are not even close to being capable of taking a hunting shot at those ranges. As you indicated, many are pleased with 3" or 4" groups at 100yds. However, there are shooters who can easily make 300yd shots, but they also shoot hundreds of rounds each year at those ranges. With the right person pulling the trigger and developing the load, there's really no reason ANY NEW production muzzleloader can't be capable of MOA at 200yds.

For the record, I've reloaded CF cartridges since the very early 70's. I still load, although not very often, for both the .450 Bushmaster and 30-06. I do though shoot almost four (4) cases of propellant each year through a muzzleloader, and a couple years over 2,000 rounds sent down range. No, I do not own a smokeless muzzleloader, as there's no need to own one. Its also not legal to use during our muzzleloader season. I have no need to have one, just to say I have one. For what I would spend on building a smokeless muzzleloader, I can purchase a lot of propellant and bullets for something that's actually legal to use during the muzzleloading season.

I've pretty much expressed my opinion on a post that wasn't started by me. So I'll refrain from further opinions here. What ever the OP decides, I wish him great luck. Muzzleloading and accurate shooting, especially long range, is addicting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.