Noob!

Mebits

At the tag end of the deer season, I was lent a Traditions Vortex, and while I didn't get a chance to shoot it, I liked it. My host killed a doe with it and he was impressed with the accuracy and knockdown power.

As such, I broke down and bought a Pursuit UL with a scope last week (helluva deal). Enough with the borrowed slug gun! Now I can practice at will and get dialed in.

I intend to use BH209 in it, and am just now trying to figure out what else I need to buy. I'd like to be as efficient as possible on this as business has been slow. Fortunately, I have some time. I gather I can use the Hoppes #9 I have for cleaning.

What are "must haves"? What are "good to haves"? and What are "fun to haves"?

M

A friend brought one over to set up. It worked out very well and was darn accurate, shooting 3/4" groups before he was done that day. He was shooting 105grs V of BH209 and Barnes T-EZ bullets.

Lots of patches, Hoppe's for BH209 is enough, I'd recommend a nylon brush also. Be sure to get the proper bullet seating jag for the bullet you intend to shoot. Get two (2) of them, one for this: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/hunter-bullet-starter-and-ramrod-extension-a1335

I've used that bullet starter for years.

Good luck

A friend brought one over to set up. It worked out very well and was darn accurate, shooting 3/4" groups before he was done that day. He was shooting 105grs V of BH209 and Barnes T-EZ bullets.

Lots of patches, Hoppe's for BH209 is enough, I'd recommend a nylon brush also. Be sure to get the proper bullet seating jag for the bullet you intend to shoot. Get two (2) of them, one for this: https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/hunter-bullet-starter-and-ramrod-extension-a1335

I've used that bullet starter for years.

Good luck

Great advice! I've been muzzleloading a while and have tried allot of different things with that said I'm still learning and still feel I'm a "noob" also. In my opinion blackhorn209 is the next best thing to sliced bread! If you can I'd weigh the charges. I know allot of people like Barnes however I prefer Hornady SST 250. They are cheaper and very accurate. I'd get the harvestor crushed rib sabots from harvestor and if you can't get moa shooting 100 grains by volume up the charge a bit and knurl the bullets. I'd use Win209 primers and clean between shots when though some say it's not needed I found it worked for me, just a dry patch will work.

There are lots of ways you can do muzzleloading find what works for you and don't let anyone talk you it of it, cause it works for you! Good luck

Just an FYI, if you find BH209 on the shelf someplace, purchase it when you find it and buy more than one bottle. It won't go bad. Later in the year when shooters start shooting more, it starts to become a little scarce at times. When it gets close to fall and hunting season, good luck if you look then. It can be almost impossible to find in some areas.

Just following up. I'm shooting PT Gold 260's with 110 V BH209. The gun and loads are more accurate than I am at 150 yds (as far as I can go out at my range).

I took a nice deer this year at 125 yds. DRT.

I like the gun a lot. I really like the BH209 and the load.

It does kick a lot at the range, though in the field, one oddly doesn't feel it. ;)

get a bag of these, it will save your frame from being damaged by the primer launching back into it.
McMaster-Carr

DSCN3802.jpg

Can you explain further, FG? It *seems* like the primer stays put, as it feels snug when I pull it out.

What's the oring actually doing?

TIA,
M

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.