Long range hunting FACTORY load?

megastink

Hello! First of all, please don't crucify me for asking for a factory load, I don't reload. My rifle is a Savage 10FP .308, bedded, and prints .5" groups at 100 yards with Federal GMM or hornady custom a-max, both 168gr.

I want to practice with hunting rounds around the 500 yard mark this winter and I am looking for a factory load to do it.

I've seen a factory load at cabelas loaded with Berger VLDs and I've read (on this site) of someone shooting deer at 500 with Black Hills BTHP (.308).

So, any suggestions?

Hello! First of all, please don't crucify me for asking for a factory load, I don't reload. My rifle is a Savage 10FP .308, bedded, and prints .5" groups at 100 yards with Federal GMM or hornady custom a-max, both 168gr.

I want to practice with hunting rounds around the 500 yard mark this winter and I am looking for a factory load to do it.

I've seen a factory load at cabelas loaded with Berger VLDs and I've read (on this site) of someone shooting deer at 500 with Black Hills BTHP (.308).

So, any suggestions?

FGMM will often hold 1/2 MOA at 500 yds.
People get very polarized/opinionated about SMKs for hunting.
But, many have had success depending on the quarry.
I think you'd be fine if hunting white tails and not hitting heavy bones.
I've shot deer with the 142 SMKs just fine.

The AMAX is considered by many to be an excelent long range hunting bullet.
If your Hornady ammo will hold consistent 1/2 MOA at 500 yds, then that would also be an option.

Black Hills or HSM would be good if accurate at 500 yds in your rifle.

-- richard

+1, Agree, what he said:)

A good friend is using HSM Berger VLD factory ammo in his 25-06, and gets groups no bigger than moa at 600 yds, his smallest was 7/8" at 500 yds believe it or not. Even the big groups are within a few inches of point of aim at 600, so no reason not to use it providing broadside shots.

I've had best luck (factory ammo wise, 223, 243 and 25-06) with Federal premium, Black Hills, and Hornady Match. Nosler Custom doesn't shoot bad either, in my limited experience with it.

I used the A-Max bullets last year, not long range but on small deer. Pretty explosive at 300 yds and under, probably not a big problem with lung shots....still got complete pass through, just alot of blood shot tissue.

Before I switched to my 6.5x284's I was using a Model 70 in 270WSM. While I also reloaded for this rifle, I found that the now discontinued Remington 150 gr. Accutips woud produce consistent .25-.5 MOA at 500 yards. That cartridge which the bullet was actually a private labele 150 gr. Hornady SST, had a BC of .525 and loaded to 3150MV would retain 1750 pounds of energy at 500 yards. I was never able to get the same muzzle velocity or accuracy using the Hornady with my hand loads. I took several coyotes, white tails, and mulies out to 500 yards with that factory load. I probably could have stretched that load to 700, but I didn't have a rangefinder that would produce accurate ranges past 500 or so.

Folks giving factory ammo a thumbs down should check out what the best of its history is. Good commercial .308 Win. match ammo's shot under 4 inches all day long in 7.62 NATO M14NM's and Garands at 600 yards. Hornady's match stuff with 178-gr. AMax bullets has been very accurate at the longer ranges in bolt guns these days. Most reloaders (that's over 50.1% of all reloaders) don't make .308 Win. ammo that shoots as accurate as some of the good commercial stuff.

I've no idea why Savage puts a 1:10 twist in their .308 Model 10FP. That's good for 200 grain bullets but too fast for lighter ones unless they're shot with reduced loads. Therefore, I suggest one use ammo with at least 175-grain bullets. For .308's, a 1:12 twist's much better for 150 to 180-gr. bullets from a 24 inch barrel.

Folks giving factory ammo a thumbs down should check out what the best of its history is. Good commercial .308 Win. match ammo's shot under 4 inches all day long in 7.62 NATO M14NM's and Garands at 600 yards. Hornady's match stuff with 178-gr. AMax bullets has been very accurate at the longer ranges in bolt guns these days. Most reloaders (that's over 50.1% of all reloaders) don't make .308 Win. ammo that shoots as accurate as some of the good commercial stuff.

I've no idea why Savage puts a 1:10 twist in their .308 Model 10FP. That's good for 200 grain bullets but too fast for lighter ones unless they're shot with reduced loads. Therefore, I suggest one use ammo with at least 175-grain bullets. For .308's, a 1:12 twist's much better for 150 to 180-gr. bullets from a 24 inch barrel.

Thank you for the opinion. I'm not here to argue, but my Savage shoots 168 grain bullets .5 MOA at 100 yards now. I'm not opposed to the idea of using a heavier bullet, but why argue with my rifle?

. . .my Savage shoots 168 grain bullets .5 MOA at 100 yards now. I'm not opposed to the idea of using a heavier bullet, but why argue with my rifle?
Note that 1/2 MOA at 100 yards does not mean it'll shoot 1/2 MOA at longer ranges. It may shoot 2 MOA at 500 or 600 yards. Group size in MOA does not stay the same from short to long range. Too many variables prevent that from happening.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.