Factory Ammo and Long Range??

StoneCold

This may seem like an odd question, but here goes.

Let's say you want to shoot deer/elk out to a max of 700 yards. Rifle can be whatever you want. (Feel free to make suggestions). Which caliber / ammo would you use if you didn't want to reload?? I ask because I have been chronoing many loads for a few years now. The only factory ammo that meets its velocity claims are Weatherby. Sometimes the High energy / light magnum will and the new WSM's are close, but weatherby pretty much always does. If a guy was starting out and had limited time which route would you go??

I know it has been said Long Range and factory ammo don't go together. But, If you used only factory what would you use and how far would you shoot to??

What platform would you shoot it from??

StoneCold

PS: I have been shooting for quite a while. I do reload for my long range stuff. I have friends that might like to do it, but it seems pretty daunting to have to get gear, and reloading stuff, and learn how to use it all. (I don't have time to load for them too! I know it would be cheaper to load their own too....)

First off no matter what your going to shoot at 700 yrds. you need to do alot of practicing, as you know if your doing some longer renge shooting now. Then there is the problem of finding a factory rifle and ammo combo that is capible of that kind of accuracy. Then you will need a real good range finder befor you go to the field. To do it right you need a custom rifle, high dollar optics, a good range finder and loading your own really helps.

Catfish, I disagree. I'm no expert here, my longest shots are only a little over 400 yds. This was done with a factory rifle that was accurized and factory ammo. I know 400 yds is not the same as 700, but I think it can be done. Just my opinion.

My dad has a Weatherby (I think its a vangaurd, but it might be a Mark V, I can't remember). It is a 300 Win Mag. He doesn't reload and lives 1500 miles away, so reloading for him doesn't work very well. On one of my visits, he asked me to find some factory loads that would work and sight it in for him.

We bought several boxes of factory loads and it shot 2 of them to the same POA and under 1" group. The other 2 loads didn't shoot worth a darn. The 2 that shot really well were the Winchester loads (180gr Accubonds) and the Federal loads, the 180 Partitions. It can happen, that a rifle will shoot a particular factory brand/loading very well. This will work for him, as we then bought a couple more boxes of the federal loads and it should last him for quite some time. It would get real expensive if he shot much, and you have to shoot a lot to be efficient at Long Range. If money were no object, you could practice enough to be accurate at 700yds with either of those loads in his rifle. It is 100%factory and wears a Leupold VXII.

In my experience, a good rifle will shoot most everything pretty good and will shoot some loads REALLY good. There is only one way to find out, get a rifle and give it a whirl. $40/box for good ammo, sure makes reloading look better though ;-)

AJ

a savage tactical/police model in 308 win(i think #10fp)would be my choice.just for deer though.there are many fine factory loadings for this caliber.black hills is one.this caliber has a good reputation for out of the box accuracy.there are better caliber choices,but to get the best accuracy and performance handloading is esential for these in my opinion.practice,practice,practice.jason

savage 110 fp 300 win mag blackhills 190 gr. match ammo . you have to shoot it !!! rifle's are like finger print there all different and you never know what they like . I'm a fan of Remington and Savage's . if you like to tinker the savage is user friendly

JIM

It's not so much the speeds of factory ammo that make it bad. You can always account for that. It's the lack of velocity uniformity that really makes factory ammo and long range a bad idea.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.