Long Range Hunting... .300 WM vs .300 WSM

Bombista

Yeah I know, again the old question, Like Chevy vs Ford..

All I wan't to know is which one has better accuracy at long range. (1100+ yd)

Prices, avaiability, handloading etc, are not problems or factors in this question. It's all about accuracy.

Well if you are looking to drive heavy bullets the Win Mag should do it better. That being said, the WSM isn't belted.

The win mag will get you more velocity with bullets suitable for 1100 plus. They both are very capable of great accuracy, the difference in accuracy will be in the smith used and the barrel.

Jeff

I'm going with the WSM built on a long action with a Wyatts extended mag. box. I don't think I'm giving up much but gaining in efficiency. You can't go wrong either way if it's built right.

Theoretically the short fat case and abrupt shoulder produces more efficient and effective powder burn.

Having worked with both, I've achieved superb accuracy in each case. The WSM's may be just a tad easier to do load work for.

You can't go wrong.

Properly constructed, a WSM won't give up much performance to the WM with handloads. And despite what many people will tell you, the WSM is more than capable of driving the heavy 200+ grain bullets to velocities that run right with the WM. Both can be made to shoot with extreme accuracy.

In 2010 a guy in Pa,Penn. rules 1000 yrd.Shot a world record 2.8 ", 10 shot group, heavy gun in 300wsm,210 berger.

What's so bad with a belted case?

I don't own a belted magnum but in no way am I against them. I would like to be better educated about them so for the sake of me learning something I'm going to open this can of worms.

What's so right about a belted case? It seems that many if not most who reload them headspace off the shoulder and not the belt anyway so what's the point?

Commence firing!gun)

#2 DOWN,Is a friend of mine,used to shoot archery with him 15 years ago. He just shot 2 world records in 2011. First match this season his pupil, shot a 100 5x,with a new 6 dasher. He has a 300wsm, made off a 270wsm case,there own reamer as a truck gun. The other has a 338 LAI and has shot game out to just shy of 1600.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.