30/06 vs 300 wm vs 300 wsm

When you say Elk Hunt it usually means High Altitude 9500 or higher not uncommon. The weight of most 300 WSM built on a short action makes it lighter than the 30-06 or 300 WM. on a standard action. A 300 WSM at 3000 fps with 180 gr Nosler partition makes a good 300 yd. elk load in a light 7 1/4 lb scoped rifle. Good Luck in choice and Happy Hunting.

A buddy and I are going for Elk in 2019. He is a lefty.Right now he is using a Ruger 77 in 30/06,but it's right handed. He was thinking of getting a lefty 300 wm but found a 300 wsm lefty used at a great price. He was concerned that other than getting a left handed gun the 300 wsm is not much better than a 30/06. Should he get it ? I told him at least he might even shoot better at a longer distance if need be since he might be a little more comfortable.
What kind of ranges are you talking about? At medium ranges and in, the 3006 is plenty for an Elk. If he shoots it well enough at the ranges he intends to hunt then he really is not gaining anything from the others. I like the 300wsm but factory ammo is crazy expensive and much less options than 3006 and 300win mag. If he just wants to get a new rifle...id get the 300win mag. To me, the 300wsm only gains a smidge more over the 3006. The 300winmag gives him a left handed rifle, much more down range energy should he ever decide to go to further ranges. If he did not already have the 3006 then maybe id recommend the 300wsm but to me since he already has the 3006...it would be a 300winmag hands down.

A buddy and I are going for Elk in 2019. He is a lefty.Right now he is using a Ruger 77 in 30/06,but it's right handed. He was thinking of getting a lefty 300 wm but found a 300 wsm lefty used at a great price. He was concerned that other than getting a left handed gun the 300 wsm is not much better than a 30/06. Should he get it ? I told him at least he might even shoot better at a longer distance if need be since he might be a little more comfortable.

I have all three chamberings but the .300 Win Mag remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Depending on your terrain (timber, open country) I suggest to shoot the chambering with the most OOMP that he can effectively shoot and using the heaviest bullet that shoots accurately out of the rifle.

This could be a hunt of a life time. I'd rather have all the power on hand and not need it than the other way around. Elk can be a tough animal. For instance, in 2013, my hunting buddies and I harvested 3 Montana bull elk. My 1st buddy was using a .300 WM 180 TTSX Barnes factory ammo and it took him 3 shoots (2 in the boiler room and 1 in the front shoulder) at a 100 yards. Second buddy dropped his on the spot at ~300 yards with only one 180 Berger VLD factory ammo out of his 7MM RM. Mine was 1 shot on the front chest at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD handload out of my .300 WM but managed to run ~200 yards. To me, all rifles-bullet combo did its good but the elk expired differently.

It is still a year out so there is plenty of time to prepare for it. Not sure where you guys are from or your physical conditioning but make you account for it. If you cannot get to where the elk are, it does you no good regardless of chambering. Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Last edited:
Weight difference between a long and short action is 3 oz in an R700. If 3 oz breaks the bank as far as total carry weight, take a big swig from one bottle of water in your pack and viola'. You just shaved 3 oz off your pack weight. Problem solved. Put a light scope on it and you will never feel the difference.

My vote goes to the .300WM. Push a 210 or 215 Berger @ 2940+ and you have a legitimate 1000 yard elk rifle.

Don't discount a good .284/7mm either. .280AI, 7RM, 7SAUM, 28 Nosler, etc. pushing a 168 to 195 bullet.

My elk rifles weigh 8lbs 15oz (.280AI), 10lbs 4oz (7RM) and 14lbs (.300RUM). Not much need to go less than my lightweight rifle for elk. Even at 10k elevation.

In my experience there is a much larger gain from the 30-06 to 300 wsm than from 300 wsm to 300 win mag. I have had all three calibers and like them all but I don't ever use my 30-06 anymore. I'd rather use a 270 or 6.5 caliber than the 30-06. If I'm going to shoot a .308 caliber I like more horsepower than the 30-06 can offer. I'd say your friend will not go wrong with the 300 wsm it is a very efficient caliber and does well with a wide variety of bullets.
I have hunted with all three of these calibers. In my experience, the 300 wm and the 300 wsm the difference is negligible. My 300 Win Mag is in a Ruger #1 with a 26" barrel. My load for it sends a 180 gr Barnes TSX at 3050 FPS it groups at .5", I killed a bull elk with it in 2009 at 80 yds and it performed marvelously. My 300wsm is re-stocked Rem 700 with a 24" barrel. It's load pushes a 180 gr Barnes TTSX. 3030 FPS and .625" group. My nephew killed a nice bull at 400 yds with it a couple of yrs ago. It was equally efficient and two pounds lighter. Their is a huge difference between both of them and the 30/06, in my mind. i agree with Timnterra. If I'd rather a 280 AI or a 25/06 if I were to go with something less. That said I can't believe could go wrong with either of the 300s. There's my 2 cents worth

Upgrading from a 30-06 I will go personally for a 300winmag. there isn't much difference in the two WSM can only take a 180gr but the Win Mag can effectively shoot 200's or more.. for elk hunting in the mountains the shorter action cuts weight. He should go for the 300 WSM as they are practically the same plus rifle is a lefty and better or Elk hunting due to less weight.

As of this moment, if I had a 30-06, I would do a 300 WSM. I could take advantage of the long action and seat bullets out long. I would cut the barrel down and rechamber it so I wouldn't have to buy a new one. Of course, tomorrow it could change.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.