Long range chucks :-)

Finally was able to take the neighbor kid (he's 30 but in school) out for a day to shoot chucks. He's been studying hard for the past several years and needed a break. I had him shoot one of my 223s that's loaded with Sierra 77gr TMKs. My Kestrel is programmed for that rifle/load and the MV is trued up to 900 yards. Once he settled down and got used to the trigger he popped six chucks in a row at 485 yards and was jacked. He told me on the way down to the farm that he thought 200 yards was the max for a 223. Made me happy to see that someone besides me can shoot my rifle and experience extreme accuracy.

I also took along my 25-06 that I've been working on for the same purpose. It's a Savage BVSS that I epoxy bedded the action into a Choate Tactical Custom stock and mounted a Nightforce NX8 4-32 X 50 scope onto. It also has an Erik Cortina Tuner/Break on the barrel. I load it with Berger 115 VLDs and it is sweet to shoot.

We spotted two chucks at 657 yards so I got that rifle out and dialed in the solution from my Kestrel. Got both chucks. The second one was laying flat out on a rock and went a couple of feet in the air with miscellaneous body parts going everywhere. I'm hoping that I will have an opportunity to get one at a longer range before they all go to ground for the season. (rock chucks hibernate early in the summer when their forage dries up)

It was a great day.
That's awesome, Do you like the Choate Stock ?

Thanks for the post. I would love to see some pictures of it sometime.
HE.jpg

Here you go Johnny.

That's awesome, Do you like the Choate Stock ?
Yes. I love it but it took some time for me to grow into it. The Model 112 action has a blind mag that is attached to the bottom of the action. It would not fit into the stock with that mag attached. I had to remove the magazine, cut a block of wood to fill up the magazine hole and epoxy a feed ramp onto the top. So the rifle is now a single feed which I now really like.

The stock has a HUGE barrel channel that will accommodate a full bull barrel if desired. Choate is smart enough to leave enough of a gap around the safety tang so that it is floated. Some guys don't like that but I find that Savage actions shoot better when that tang is not touching the stock.

The adjustments for LOP are made with allen head screws and tighten securely. You can even rotate the butt plate to better match your shoulder pocket if you need to. The thumbwheel on the side of the stock is easy to use to raise and lower the cheek piece which is needed to remove the bolt. The sling swivels are on the side of the stock so they don't interfere with the rifle movement when shooting off of bags. I've not carried it with a sling on the side yet to tell you how that would be.

The pistol grip is hollow so I've filled it with small buckshot to add weight to the rifle. Yes, it's heavy at 17.4 pounds so it is not suited for packing around in the field. I shoot it off of the back of my truck that I installed an aluminum roll up tonneau cover onto. Makes a great shooting platform with a bipod and a bag.

There is an Anschutz rail molded into the bottom of the forearm of the stock. I found a picatinny adapter to slide into that channel and then locked it down for an attachment point for my bipods.

The stock is made with a full length bedding block that is V shaped for the action to nestle down into. I used a Dremel tool to rough that up and drilled holes into it and then epoxy bedded the action. I never liked V-blocks for accuracy.

So far the last 4 chucks that I shot at died with one shot. One was 593 yards, two at 657, and one at 615 yards.

Last edited:
Yes. I love it but it took some time for me to grow into it. The Model 112 action has a blind mag that is attached to the bottom of the action. It would not fit into the stock with that mag attached. I had to remove the magazine, cut a block of wood to fill up the magazine hole and epoxy a feed ramp onto the top. So the rifle is now a single feed which I now really like.

The stock has a HUGE barrel channel that will accommodate a full bull barrel if desired. Choate is smart enough to leave enough of a gap around the safety tang so that it is floated. Some guys don't like that but I find that Savage actions shoot better when that tang is not touching the stock.

The adjustments for LOP are made with allen head screws and tighten securely. You can even rotate the butt plate to better match your shoulder pocket if you need to. The thumbwheel on the side of the stock is easy to use to raise and lower the cheek piece which is needed to remove the bolt. The sling swivels are on the side of the stock so they don't interfere with the rifle movement when shooting off of bags. I've not carried it with a sling on the side yet to tell you how that would be.

The pistol grip is hollow so I've filled it with small buckshot to add weight to the rifle. Yes, it's heavy at 17.4 pounds so it is not suited for packing around in the field. I shoot it off of the back of my truck that I installed an aluminum roll up tonneau cover onto. Makes a great shooting platform with a bipod and a bag.

There is an Anschutz rail molded into the bottom of the forearm of the stock. I found a picatinny adapter to slide into that channel and then locked it down for an attachment point for my bipods.

The stock is made with a full length bedding block that is V shaped for the action to nestle down into. I used a Dremel tool rough that up and drilled holes into it and then epoxy bedded the action. I never liked V-blocks for accuracy.

So far the last 4 chucks that I shot at died with one shot. One was 593 yards, two at 657, and one at 615 yards.
Thank You

The stock is made with a full length bedding block that is V shaped for the action to nestle down into. I used a Dremel tool rough that up and drilled holes into it and then epoxy bedded the action. I never liked V-blocks for accuracy.

So are you talking about the safety itself?
Or the tang at the back end of the action?