long range accuracy (flyers)

leonard1708

I have been having problems with my groups. I will shoot 3-4 shots and there is always a flyer. The first shot is always 2-3 inches away from my tight group my groups are around .6 moa at 100 yards and maybe 1.5 inches at 200 yards but there is always that flyer. I have a new 20 inch stainless steel 1/8 twist barrel on my AR and my groups are very acceptable but that flyer concerns me for hunting. I have shot 55gr American Eagle 223 and American Eagle green tip 5.56 62gr (which I hear the 1/8 twist loves) and still the same flyer. I have been told proper cheek placement height/consistency all the way to cold bore shooting. Any advice would help I have my parralex perfectly set croshairs dead set can't miss with with the led sled. I am just lost any help would be great. I've also been told copper build up on new barrels and the break in process I don't know what to do I just want to go out coyote hunting and have some confidence in my gun thanks.

If your using a Free floated handguard make sure the gas block has 1/8" clearance at least from handguard on all sides. If your not using a freefloat handguard you might consider it. And it could be you just have a barrel with a lot of stress in it that with a little heat from the first shot causes it to move changing you POI you could shoot a 5 shot group one shot per hour or day or something along those lines and see if your cold bore group is ok most killing is done on a cold bore anyway.

So cold bore is an actual thing? I have a free float with proper clearance as well. I have a new browning bolt gun with no issues very accurate but it would be discouraging to put this AR away I have a decent amount into the build and put it together because the ammo is a third of my big caliber rifles and the semi auto feature is nice for doubles and triples.

Cold bore is real. If I were you I'd sight scope in to cold bore if this is truly your hunting gun.

Please don't get mad, this is only a suggestion.

I had a problem with fliers on a 338WM once upon a time , my reloads ,rifle, scope was fine.

Getting frustrated I decided to set up my camera to video my shooting so that I could review my form in slow motion. Turns out that I had a blink and a finger' flick' ( both forms of flinching).

With a lot of dry-fire practice I overcame it.

Just a suggestion, I know Your rifle doesn't have near the recoil of a 8lb 338wm though. It might be worth a try.

From my experience;

1) Whenever you see "flyers" you really need to shoot a 10 shot group. This may tell you a better story. I shoot 3 shot groups for certain things in load development. But a 3 or 4 shot group really isn't enough during troubleshooting to see what your rifle is really doing.

2) If possible, it's always good to have someone else try shooting your firearm. See what their results are, even if you have 100% faith in your abilities.

2-3 inches at 100 yards is extreme, even with an AR. To me, that really points to something being loose in the rifle system (including scope, rings, etc). That's where I would start.

1) Whenever you see "flyers" you really need to shoot a 10 shot group. This may tell you a better story. I shoot 3 shot groups for certain things in load development. But a 3 or 4 shot group really isn't enough during troubleshooting to see what your rifle is really doing.

+1. More often than not, when I've had a "flyer" in a 3-5 shot group, a 10 shot group has revealed that it's not a flyer at all but rather a real indicator of how well that load shoots.

John

Did you assemble the gun if so you might check the barrel to upper reciever for a snug fit I normally Locktite the two together any more a good heat gun and they come back apart if needed. I have seen some rather loose fitting barrels before. Also is this first shot flyer after cleaning or just cooling of the barrel?

If you handload, don't underestimate the effect of adding or decreasing a tenth or two of powder to bring your flyer into the group. I've also seen .005" in or out of seating depth adjustment bring flyers home. Factory ammo is a crapshoot.

Another thing I've noticed with guys shooting the ARs at our MOA matches is the first round after you drop the bolt on a mag is always a little off from the rest of the group. Its usually very consistent in where it lands in relation to the main group but is separated from the rest of the group by 2 or 3 MOA. Not sure if this helps, but something to watch for.

I have a rifle that has a clean cold bore shot, first shot that is off by about a half inch. Try leaving the barrel fouled then go out the next day and see if it minimizes it or corrects it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.