Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

Magnum72576

I know most of you have custom rifles, but im hoping a few guys have tried shooting long range with their xbolts. I would like to know what kind of accuracy you achieved. I'm looking for a light mountain rifle and don't know if spending 3k on a custom rifle is really worth it? 300 win mag will probably be my calliber. Thanks Tony

after loading for a freinds xbolt in 270 wsm i am not impresed with browning his wives cheap savage .270 wsm would out shoot it on a regular basis. After a few shots it would change poi and trigger left alot to be desired.

The trigger on my X Bolt is better than any other factory trigger I've ever felt. I have a composite stalker in 300 WSM and it's a consistent 1/2 MOA rifle with 3 shot groups and 3/4 MOA with 7 shot groups.

The barrels on the X Bolts are free floating. Change in POI is usually due to shooter error because the gun is so dang light any difference in technique from one shot to the next will definitely open up your groups or change POI.

Using my rifle with a Burris Black Diamond scope I've made first round hits on 15" rocks at 700 yards from a sitting position using the reticle marks for holdover. It's awful hard to beat that kind of accuracy and handling from another factory rifle.

it would change poi from a rest like the lead sled and hitting a 15" rock at 700 yards it would do but at over a 2 moa target i would expect most decent guns should. Maybe he got a bad triger but compared to the savage which i am not a big fan off it was heavy and next to my timney was like pulling a sledge hammer. Never been a big browning fan so i might be a little biased as the name seems to add to the price more than any thing. Dont need to spend 3000 on a custom get a rem 700 and start from there it is like building off the 350 small block with all the options there are

it would change poi from a rest like the lead sled and hitting a 15" rock at 700 yards it would do but at over a 2 moa target i would expect most decent guns should. Maybe he got a bad triger but compared to the savage which i am not a big fan off it was heavy and next to my timney was like pulling a sledge hammer. Never been a big browning fan so i might be a little biased as the name seems to add to the price more than any thing. Dont need to spend 3000 on a custom get a rem 700 and start from there it is like building off the 350 small block with all the options there are

I personally would never judge a gun for changing POI off a lead sled vs a more conventional shooting position/platform. I've handled a few X Bolts and all had excellent triggers, your friend might need to adjust his down a bit.

A 2 MOA target would be easily doable with most rifles from a prone position or off a bench, but to hit a target that size from an unsupported sitting position requires a rifle that handles extremely well.

The only time I shot my X Bolt at long range from prone, I put 3 shots in 6 inches at 960 yards. When you consider the gun with the scope weighs less than 8 lbs it's an impressive shooter.

it changed poi from the pencil bbl getting hot after 5 shots it was more of a patern than a group but probally asking it do some thing it was not desinged to do is fire a sustained string.

I havea xbolt hunter in 270wsm. It shoots great. .5moa all day. I think the trjgger is fine on mine too. I own one of almost every brand out there and am not biased by any means either way, but I do like the xbolt.

I have had 2 identical rifles (1 from '04-08, and one from '12-current), b/c the first one got stolen from me back in 08. They are/were Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/ BOSS in 7mm RemMag. The old one had an original Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 Firefly 3-9x50, and the current one has a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50.

I just got this new one a few months ago, so haven't had a chance to do anything much other than a Rifle Basix 1.25# trigger spring & trigger job, and a 100 yard zero to tune in the BOSS for my handloads.

My other one I have taken several deer well over 300 yards. My furthest free-hand standing shot in a treestand was 476 yards, with that gun shooting (before I reloaded) Federal Premium 160gr Barnes TSX Triple-Shocks w/ the XLC coating. It had no problem laying the smack down on a whitetail at that distance. You gotta love a flat-shooting caliber.

Thanks for the great info. I think I'm going to go for it. Trying to decide between the 300wsm at 6 pounds 8oz, with a 23" barrel, or the 300 win mag at 6 pounds 13oz with a 26"barrel. I do reload. The gun will be for hunting in the mountains for deer an occasional elk and hopefully a sheep or goat one day.
Thanks Tony

Never been a fan of the WSM's.... They came out right about the time the outdoors store I was working for was fixing to close up its doors for good...I've always prefered full-size cartridges myself. I have heard good things about the WSM's, I just can't bring myself to buy one.

Don't overlook the 7mm RemMag....That is a very potent caliber. I know alot of folks who are persistant on having a .30 caliber bullet....But remember, there is only 0.024" difference between the .30 caliber and the 7mm (.284) caliber bullets. Granted, you can get heavier bullets for the .30 caliber, but a 160gr Accubond from a good 7mm RemMag handload will be just as nasty as a 175gr pill from a .300 WinMag.

One of my buddies has a .300 WinMag, and I make his handloads for him...We go to the range and my 7mm 160gr Accubonds sound like they hit harder on the backstop @ 100 yards than his .300 WinMag with 178gr A-Max's. Our velocities ought to be very similar +/- 100fps between the 2 calibers....But my 7mm RemMag uses less powder to do it.

I'm not trying to convince you to go with a different caliber, I'm just saying don't rule out 7mm calibers just b/c they are a little bit smaller than a .30 caliber.

Please PM me before you buy a new X-bolt of any kind. I am short on time so I can not post what I need to say this very second. But I have an X-bolt .300wsm and there are some things you need to know before the purchase. If you are interested PM me tonight sometime! later

I bought an Xbolt comp stalker in 270 WSM....

picked it up and it fit me... i wish the fore-end was about 1/2" wider cause i was born with meathooks... but the gun is awsome to handle in the field.

I too had issues with mine when i first started shooting it, 2 tight holes and a 3rd flier. among other bizarre issues.

So I took it apart and had a gander @ the factory bedding job.... or lack there of

needless to say, i bought these 2 kits off of MatchGrade Bedding Products - Terminal Ballistics Research

Now a gun that i loved from the get go is even better.

also have a Rem 700 Sendaro sitting right beside it...

of the 2 factory triggers, the browning wins. if his trigger is hard to pull... it needs adjusting

which might add, the xbolt trigger adjusts an does not get creepy... how remington even released the Xmark pro on a rifle with out embarassment is beyond me

Hate to hijack but how much did that xbolt run you? I have a composite stalker in 300wks and its in EXCELLENT shape with only 17 rounds through it, but I'm selling it to work on a long range build. I just need to know where to start my selling price. I was thinking 450$ or so with bases included

Hate to hijack but how much did that xbolt run you? I have a composite stalker in 300wks and its in EXCELLENT shape with only 17 rounds through it, but I'm selling it to work on a long range build. I just need to know where to start my selling price. I was thinking 450$ or so with bases included

I would buy that in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one. Mine is a solid 1/2 minute gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. If you like to tinker though, a remington or a savage have more aftermarket parts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.