Browning Xbolt accuracy long range

I have an Xbolt hunter in 270 WSM, didn't like it much when it was new, but after a little fiddling it is a real shooter.

Finally got it to 1/2 MOA after playing with about 8 bullets and 5 powders, but it shoots an inch at 200 with the IMR 4831 and 150 grain Partitions.

A couple of notes about mine. Blue barrel with a throat eating caliber like 270 WSM, you have to re-measure your coal every 200 rounds as it does erode. I am over 400 rounds and I have lengthened them twice, (still fits in the clip though).

Light barrel so it gets hot quick, I cool every 4 rounds if shooting for accuracy.

Seems pretty sensitive to cleaning, a lot of copper fouling and must be cleaned religiously, 20 rounds and I can tell the difference, and then there is a lot of copper to come out of it. 2 overnight soaks with wipeout. Maybe this is just mine.

Trigger is shipped at a miserable 7 lbs out of the factory, I hated it when I took it ot the range the first time, but dialed it down to just below 4 and it is a very nice trigger now, I decided to keep it even though I usually upgrade triggers.

Stock is a little short, so it felt pretty awkward shooting it when it is new for me and I am not a big guy. Also with the lightweight setup you have to be very consistent in your grip, so it helps to have these guns fit perfectly. Compare it with your length of pull on rifles you are used to and you might find it is shorter, I had to add a 1/2 to mine.

With a little tuning and load development it will make a good 1/2 to 3/4 MOA gun, after I got mine dialed in a bit I really enjoy shooting it.

I would buy that in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one. Mine is a solid 1/2 minute gun and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. If you like to tinker though, a remington or a savage have more aftermarket parts.

Just as realized that I put 300 wks haha obviously I meant wsm. I really love the feel of the lightweight browning but my BAT was just completed and I could use some cash after dropping 1600$ on it. I won't have a use for my browning now :(

I know most of you have custom rifles, but im hoping a few guys have tried shooting long range with their xbolts. I would like to know what kind of accuracy you achieved. I'm looking for a light mountain rifle and don't know if spending 3k on a custom rifle is really worth it? 300 win mag will probably be my calliber. Thanks Tony

But a sendero. Or better yet, $400 Rem 700 LA, $75 for BDL bottom metal, $350 Bartlein Barrel, $25 recoil lug, $125 Timney trigger, $350 HS precision stock, $250-350 gunsmith cut crown chamber, watch some YouTube videos and bed it yourself. Whamo bamo semi-custom rifle for around $1500-1700. Now have that action blueprinted for $250 and another $200 for a cerakote job and you're looking at maybe $2200-$2300 with shipping. Best of luck.

A lot depends on how far you plan to shoot it. Regarding the X-Bolt, it's a good factory gun. I like Brownings, but they are like any other factory rifle in that some shoot very well and others not so much. If you're good at handloading, or lucky, you can probably get it shooting sub-moa pretty reliably.

The 300 WSM is a great caliber but loses some of its shine when you go beyond a 180 grain bullet. Just not enough room for long bullets and lots of powder. For me that puts it at about a 600 yard elk gun max, and probably not much further for deer since that mid-weight bullet will be drifting quite a bit. Others may disagree, but the 300 win allows you to use the heavier bullets and reach out quite a bit further. Whether or not you can shoot a light gun accurately beyond 600 is up to you, but those are my feelings about the different chamberings. The 7mm doesn't buy much unless you're leaning heavily toward deer. True its "only" 24 thousandths smaller, but that also equates to about 17% smaller. About the same size step down as 7mm to .257. Just depends on which way you're trying to sell it, but whenever elk are in the discussion I always lean toward more frontal area and momentum vs energy/velocity. Many regard the 338s as ideal for elk (and I agree), but the .308s still pack plenty of punch for most situations and are a good compromise for a deer/elk/backpacking gun.

Bottom line, the X-Bolt will probably fit your bill nicely unless you're one of the unlucky ones. Go with the 300 Win if you plan on shooting much past 500-600 and shoot 200 grains or bigger. Otherwise the WSM with 180s is what I'd get.

my neighbor's boy hunts with a Browning. the trigger is good. it used to be a 2 moa gun until i epoxy bedded it and he started to reload. now it is a 3/4 moa gun. with a good scope, he can take game to 500 yards and is doing pretty well with it.

it is not ideal, but works fine. honestly, i made a better rifle out of a wetherby vanguard 30-06 than his browning wil ever be. especially for long range shooting. and the weatherby is very easily carried in the field. i have a little over $800 in the weatherby with a vx-1 on top. it's a great gun to 350 yards just the way it is.

I know most of you have custom rifles, but im hoping a few guys have tried shooting long range with their xbolts. I would like to know what kind of accuracy you achieved. I'm looking for a light mountain rifle and don't know if spending 3k on a custom rifle is really worth it? 300 win mag will probably be my calliber. Thanks Tony

I and my father-in-law both had or have browning x-bolts. Just like any other manufacturer out there...they can have LEMONS that shoot poorly. Before I sold my 300WSM it was shooting .5MOA out to 300 yards which was as far as I could shoot it at my range. I have no doubt it could have been used for 500+ yards. BUT it really is luck of the draw with factory rifles. Most of the time a simple bedding job will help accuracy. Sometimes you will need an aftermarket barrel.

I used to be a die-hard Browning guy - even to the point of visiting JM Browning's historical workshop. But the x-bolt has put me off.

The action is so small I wonder about how they keep it safe with such thin actions and small bolts. Don't know if they reduced the margin of safety or are using higher strength metal.

No more BOSS - despite what everyone said about it I found it useful - having a muzzle brake at the range and put on the similarly balanced conventional tip for the field was pretty handy.

For a Deer rifle it's elegant, but they are ignoring the whole long range thing.

Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.