Long-ish range prairie dog caliber?

I would say heat would definitely have to be a factor. If u and your friends are all getting that short a life my bet is the barrels are way hotter than they should be. I know the 7 RUM that I can get 1100 rounds out of, other guys are getting 6-800 becuase they insist on shooting fairly rapid 5 shoot groups. All in however new barrels cost WAY less than the ammo and gas it takes to wear them out so to me that isn't the biggest consideration in the world. If the type of pdog shooting your doing gives u that many shot opportunities that close together I probably wouldn't slow down the rate of fire either.

I cant imagine investing in a rifle that I know will have a worn out barrel in 1,000 rounds.

All this talk of barrel life is hopefully pointing the OP toward a Savage with a barrel nut system for attaching the barrel and setting headspace. That way he can easily re-barrel that .22-250 for his Dad once it gets shot out. No gunsmith needed. A few tools and some time in the garage and Dad is back to shooting again. All good!

All this talk of barrel life is hopefully pointing the OP toward a Savage with a barrel nut system for attaching the barrel and setting headspace. That way he can easily re-barrel that .22-250 for his Dad once it gets shot out. No gunsmith needed. A few tools and some time in the garage and Dad is back to shooting again. All good!
love the barrel nut setup! Could even get a 243,7/08,or 308 barrel for deer hunting

I don't have a borescope so I just shoot a paper target off the bench at 100yards to see how it's shooting after the season. Maybe I'm lucky and have a good barrel but I really think that it's because I'm shooting a bolt gun and by the time I shoot at a PD, find another one, range it, get on it and shoot, my barrel has cooled down

We're all running bolt guns.

400-600yards in 10-25mph winds makes for a hell of a shot in my opinion...especially for a guy who has never owned a rifle before.

I would go with the 22-250 but try to set up closer shots...600 yards is not an easy shot...even with zero wind

My 2 cents anyway;)
And where can he buy factory ammo in 22-250 loaded with those bullets?

https://www.coppercreekammo.com/product/ammunition/22-250-remington/22-250-remington-70gr-berger-vld

Yes! That's true. Never even thought of that. Another +1 for the Savage system.

Just to be fair, it's only a Savage system from FACTORY. Multiple quality barrel makers offer "Remage" barrels and nuts to do the exact same thing on a R700 action. One of my most accurate rifles is a Stiller Predator R700 clone wearing a 338 Edge McGowan Remage barrel. I also have a 6X45 on a R700 action wearing a McGowan Remage barrel which is sub-.5MOA.

I got a McGowen howage barrel that's a 1/4" gun way out yonder. Barrel nuts are awesome

Attachments

• B6075604-4767-4F71-8365-F6B785761268.jpeg
    B6075604-4767-4F71-8365-F6B785761268.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 253
You are not going to hit very many dogs at 600 yards in a 25 mph wind with anything. We have thousands of prairie dogs here in south east Utah and I'd bet $25 on every shot and I'd pay $100 for every hit on dogs out at 600 yards.
I guess that would depend on a number of things, how often does the person shoot in winds at 25mph or greater and, which direction the wind is moving with regard to the direction the shooter is shooting, is the wind constant, lastly how often does the person shoot @ distances of 600 yards or greater... etc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.