Prairie Dog or Chucks

I used to regularly shoot gophers at 250 - 300 yards with my 30-06 by hitting low - the shrapnel/dirt blast would disembowel the vermin and it would pop 3' straight up.

Now that I've got three BR 50 BMG's with NF BR optics, is there any ethical rules? Using a 750 gr A-MAX I can probably hit 1 foot low and kill one. Does that still count? I'm going for 1,500 yards so I can declare anyone with a confirmed kill less than 1,500 inexperienced ( I'm joking - unlike others who've made the same statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I've got dozens of 100+ yard kills with a .22 rim-fire and no rangefinder.

Heading out this weekend to try and kill a prarie dog past 1000yds. Me and BJ Bailey both just became members of the Varmint Hunters Association and I am definantly planning on joining the 500yd club this weekend. Hopefully the 1k club with a whole lot of luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Kregg Slack has the longest recorded hit on a prairie dog at 3125yds. thats a pretty long shot

[/ QUOTE ]

What gun was Kregg Slack using to make this shot?

In the video I have of him shooting his gun, this is what he says.
His equipment list:

Rampro action
barrel block
Leupold Premier ret. LRT scope
34 or 36 inch Lilja? barrel
SLR harbor 100 minute mount
338 lapua imp/300 grain MK

Back at the time of the shot, he may have had custom "no variable" mounts and rings instead of the changeable SLR harbor mount.

P-dogs are the way to go and my Varmit Hunter record shot is 1247 yards with a 6.5/284, 28" Hart on a trued Rem 700 with Leupold 8.5 X 25 LRT. My best 6 Rem was 1106, .223 1107 go figure! The Berger VLD's flew noticeably flatter when the ranges approached 1 mile. Hornady A-Max and Sierra's also did a fine job. Any shooter who hasn't shot P-dogs hasn't yet gotten his Doctor's degree...

Here's 1 of the articles on Kregg's accomplishment, although i'm not sure if the 1325 yd. shot is included in it-- http://www.slrharbor.com/articles/articlevhmfeb2002.html

Kregg was using Laitala's SLRM mount when he made the shot. I was there once when they were going for 2 miles, and once i got used to the old 36X Bushnell spotting scope i was looking thru at the dog they were atempting to hit, i could actually see which way he was facing on the mound-- surprisingly.

all i shoot now is 1000yd benchrest, now days its hard to get on to a ranch where you can shoot that far. to shoot the 338 lapua with a 300 gr sierra it takes 325 min of elv to get there and the bullet is in the air just over 8-sec. i do full time gunsmithing now if you want to see the rifle i used and the dead dog its on my web site at two mile hits. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.