Long Barrel Rifle Storage.....Question... Please advise.

demarpaint

Hi and Happy New Year,

I was wondering how you guys with the Ultra Long Range Rifles with the long heavy barrels store the rifle when it is not in use for a long period of time. Since the barrel is very long and heavy is it better to store it muzzle up, down, or horizontal(supported)? I am concerned with the butt pad becoming distorted, messing up the bedding, or damaging the action or the barrel itself. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Frank D

Frank-- I have several rifles in the 15-18# range and havent had a problem storing them muzzle up in the safe. I haven't noticed and evidence of buttpad distortion. Muzzle down wouldn't be a bad idea if you had a brake or something to protect the crown. Horizontal wouldn't be my choice because of the lever effect on the bedding area. If you were doing LONG term storage--You could always take the barreled action out of the stock and store them seperately. Good Luck.. CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.