Long actions, stocks, magazines combinations

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I'm doing some feasibility research on building a .338 Norma to shoot the 300gr Bergers on factory long action magnums. It seems that HS Precision and McMillian only have drop in stocks for 700 actions. I want a light weight A2 vertical grip style stock.

I can grab a Savage 111 or Vanguard for $150 or so less than a 700 with the holiday sales going on and was wondering if it's worth sticking with the 700 for more options for bottom metal, detachable magazines, and stocks?

Do all detachable box magazines assemblies (Watts, HS, PTG, AICS) need to be inlet in the stock and action to feed the larger and longer .338 Lapua type cases? Custom actions for the .338's seem to be larger in all dimensions than factory 700 actions which would require inletting on a drop in 700 stock.

What action, stock, and DM assembly combination seems the most cost and time effective?
(I'm well aware of the pros of going to a 0.750" bolt for the Lapua cases. I'm just trying to understand how a custom build has to fit together.) Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.