Long action ultra mag follower

Crowe284

So the long and short is I'm building a 7saum on a stiller predator long action. Will be using oem BDL bottom metal on manners stock. GAP is going to be putting build together but I have bought all parts. GAP told me that the gun should feed fine, but anytime you are building a short action caliber on a long action that there can be inherent issues if you grip and rip the bolt to cycle. They said if you cycled bolt normally and smooth, shouldn't be any issues. we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Another smith I talked to told me it would feed as well but I need a long action ultra mag magazine and long action ultra mag follower. The mag is easy enough to find but I can't find a long action ultra mag follower to save my life. Any idea where I can pick one up?

Thanks,
Crowe

Is that follower designed to be used only with a centerfeed mag since it's flat? I will be using a Remington oem stagger feed long action ultra mag box.

The stiller predator is cut for the wyatt extended mag box.

Wyatt also sells an extended follower for the extended boxes.

MBE-3 is the extended window box for long action RUM cases

LAXL is the long action extended follower.

Brownells number 767-909-520

That's what I'm looking for! I know the predator will accept the wyatts extended box but states it will also accept factory Remington. I already have LAUM magazine, just needed a follower that would work since it will be stagger fed. Didn't want to have to buy a new box and follower. Hope all this works!!!!

One more thought...the LAUM mag box is wider. Will it still fit in a standard long action BDL floor plate?? Or...am I going to have to change the floor plate to a LAUM floor plate as well?

One more thought...the LAUM mag box is wider. Will it still fit in a standard long action BDL floor plate?? Or...am I going to have to change the floor plate to a LAUM floor plate as well?

I think I recognize that I may have just asked a dumb question. The mag box can only be as wide as the internal deminsion of the BDL oem bottom metal (unless the oem bottom metal for a LAUM is a different size than the same oem BDL bottom metal off of a 300 win mag?, I **** sure hope not!). Maybe the top of the mag box is just wider?? I don't have the mag in hand, have ordered it so can't compare.

Brownells number 767-909-520

Shortgrass, I looked up that part number up and it mentions nothing about the ultra mags....it says "Fits 700 BDL .264 Mag, 7mm Mag, 8mm Mag, 300 Mag"

I know the part says LAUM, but the description don't jive. Also, if you search by mfr part number, all you get hits on is long action follower....nowhere else is that mfr part number associated with a LAUM follower...So, I have to pose this question, are we sure that an OEM LAUM follower exists??

I have been told by a few others now that as long as I'm running a LAUM Magazine that I can just use a follower from a 7rem mag or 300 win mag etc. and it will feed fine.

Who knows if these followers (LAUM) really exist??

Shortgrass, I looked up that part number up and it mentions nothing about the ultra mags....it says "Fits 700 BDL .264 Mag, 7mm Mag, 8mm Mag, 300 Mag"

I know the part says LAUM, but the description don't jive. Also, if you search by mfr part number, all you get hits on is long action follower....nowhere else is that mfr part number associated with a LAUM follower...So, I have to pose this question, are we sure that an OEM LAUM follower exists??

I have been told by a few others now that as long as I'm running a LAUM Magazine that I can just use a follower from a 7rem mag or 300 win mag etc. and it will feed fine.

Who knows if these followers (LAUM) really exist??

I've used it 100 times,,, it's the right one! It IS the one Rem uses in their LAUM factory rifles. The difference in mag to UM is the box (and the forward end of the feed lips and feed ramp). The box for the UM has 'windows' in the sides of the forward end of the box for the UM shoulders. As long as you're having GAP do the assembly, why not let them supply the feed components? There's not much worse for a builder than having your customer supply the wrong parts, except maybe if he sends crappy tooling, too... GAP builds rifles all the time (as do I). They know what components it'll take to make it work. He!!, they may even have the parts in inventory.

I've used it 100 times,,, it's the right one! It IS the one Rem uses in their LAUM factory rifles. The difference in mag to UM is the box (and the forward end of the feed lips and feed ramp). The box for the UM has 'windows' in the sides of the forward end of the box for the UM shoulders. As long as you're having GAP do the assembly, why not let them supply the feed components? There's not much worse for a builder than having your customer supply the wrong parts, except maybe if he sends crappy tooling, too... GAP builds rifles all the time (as do I). They know what components it'll take to make it work. He!!, they may even have the parts in inventory.

Thanks again, just trying to figure this out. Don't want to buy the wrong thing for sure. The mag box is easy, was just confused on the follower due to description. If you have used that sucker many times, there is nothing more to ask. Thanks for your patience and responses.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.